We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 countries, 6 different currencies!

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
6 countries, 6 different currencies!

There will be 3 of us friends (Americans) traveling 26 days in Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Serbia, Romania, and Hungary. I realize that euros are welcome in these countries and we plan to have 350 euros with us, but we'll eventually run out of euros and want to get local money.

How would you suggest 3 guys manage all these different currencies on our trip?

How about we take turns at the ATM machines and pulling out our credit cards, keeps tabs, and reconcile at the end of our trip? Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
692 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 countries, 6 different currencies!

Hi Steve, first question - 350Euros each or 350 Euros all together?? This is very important to know what's your real budget for cash spenditures.

In Croatia and Hungary there will be plenty of ATM's, still you will need Kuna (local currency) to pay coffee, ice cream, beer, go to bakery etc. Small spenditures generally not possible to pay by card. In Bosnia either. I guess in Serbia or in Montenegro either. Romania is a mistery for me so I can't speak for that.

I think all expenses divided by 3 is what works the best . Or, let each of you pay in 2 countries, this way you will know that for example Steve was paying in Croatia and Bosnia, then divide the amount by 3 and get even :-) Hope it helps. Cheers.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 countries, 6 different currencies!

You are going to need more than that. Not EU350, rather EU3500 for 26 days. You might think those are cheap countries. Not at all. Get yourself Capitol One CC and pay your bills when you return, Capitol One does not charge for currency conversions. Try to prepare that trip little bit better. You will get stuck in some God forsaken place with no money left. Also, have another CC just in the case you need it. Good luck.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 countries, 6 different currencies!

Thanks. Every suggestion helps. I understand that the trip will cost more than 350 euros :) Euros are expensive to get at my bank here in Idaho, but we thought we'd have some on hand in case we run out of some local currency in the 6 countries.

Montenegro will be about the 9th day, and I see where they use euros there, so if we want, I guess we could find an ATM in Kotor and get more euros. That would probably be cheaper than getting them in Idaho. But I'm not sure having lots of euros is the answer.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 countries, 6 different currencies!

I'd certainly wait awhile to buy those euros steve,with the way the euro is weakening against the dollar you'll probably get a better rate in the future.If i were you i'd be keeping an eye on the exchange rates everyday,it could well be worthwhile

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
for Parma, Cremona, Zadar
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 countries, 6 different currencies!

The best thing in this cases is to have some euros and use a credit card cash withdrawal.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 countries, 6 different currencies!

Not sure how the US Banking system works so my advice may be obsolete. Certainly in Australia, UK and EU, most credit card providers charge interest from the day of withdrawal on cash withdrawals using a credit card. If this is the case with the US banks and providers, that is worth considering and adding to your budget. We use our bank debit cards while travelling (they usually have Visa Plus or Cirrus insignia on the back) to withdraw cash from ATMs but you do have to check with your bank that they can be used overseas. Some banks charge small fees for overseas withdrawals while other banks simply rip you off using a debit card. But generally, you get the best rate of the day. You will find ATMs in all of the major towns in each of the countries that you visit. However, our experience in Romania (and I suspect in Bosnia and Serbia) is that smaller villages do not have any ATMs and many places do not accept credit cards - so cash is king!

7. Re: 6 countries, 6 different currencies!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 05:16