We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with travelling to/from dubrovnik in november

Toronto
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
help with travelling to/from dubrovnik in november

I'm trying to find an economical way to travel from dubrovnik or split to prague this november.

most discount flights and busses out of croatia appear to be seasonal and do not run during the fall/winter. can someone suggest an option to get to prague from croatia cheaply? time isn't an issue; however i'm a female travelling alone so would prefer a safer/easy option.

i'm flying into prague from canada, and then taking the train to vienna -> budapest -> zagreb -> split -> dubrovnik, and then returning to prague for my next flight to istanbul.

thanks in advance for your help!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with travelling to/from dubrovnik in november

....why not go from Dubrovnik to Istanbul and save the heartache?

Toronto
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with travelling to/from dubrovnik in november

it's a long story, but I can't do an open jaw flight - I have a series of flights booked and I have to return to Prague to continue through to the rest of my trip (which ends in asia).

maybe i should skip croatia altogether - the cheapest flight i can find out of croatia to prague has a 12 hour layover and airport change in london. :(

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with travelling to/from dubrovnik in november

....Croatia is the best of any country listed as a laid back holiday venue.

Thinking.....

what about train over nite Budapest to Venice....ferry to Rovinj in Croatia. Hit the bus from Rovinj to Ljubjlana via Trieste.....then get a train to Zagreb and either fly out of there or Ljubjlana

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with travelling to/from dubrovnik in november

Mausgrass is right, Croatia is fabulous and shouldn't be missed.

I think that maybe the the easiest and cheapest option is to go from Zagreb to Prague. You can fly from Zagreb to Berlin (both German Wings & TUIfly) from around 30 euro direct (1 hr 40 mins) and then take a train from Berlin to Prague. Would this work for you?

Croatia can be a nightmare to travel to and from (even neighbouring countries) as I found out myself this year. Have just come back from a week there and would go back tomorrow if I had the opportunity.

Toronto
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with travelling to/from dubrovnik in november

brilliant! i can fly from split to cologne and then cologne to prague for less than $200USD with germanwings! not sure why this route didn't show up when i was searching through flight engines like booking buddy.

if i don't care about the desired seat and the snack and drink, would i be better off booking the basic ticket and then adding in the cost of luggage at a later date?

now, one day each in zagreb, split, dubrovnik - is that enough or would you recommend saying additional days in one of the cities? also, does the dubrovnik ferry to split run all year round? it would be great if i can take the bus there and then the ferry back (or vice versa) so i get the best of both worlds!

thanks so much guys for all your help!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with travelling to/from dubrovnik in november

Its a bit surprising that you are going to such an effort to visit Croatia and then only consider staying for three or four days.

Are you planning to visit any of the islands?

Dubvrovnik is small and you could probably see the most interesting places in a day, at a push. I didn't visit Split under ideal conditions and it wasn't a great experience so its best if I don't comment on it. Others will no doubt give you an indication.

Toronto
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with travelling to/from dubrovnik in november

i'm planning to spend a week in croatia, but i figure half the time would be spent travelling in and out of the cities. i've never travelled on my own before so i'm not sure how comfortable i'll be venturing out at night to take the sleeper train. i'm likely going to take the train/ferry/bus during the day to the next city.

the 3 days would be full days spent exploring the city - only because a few people have mentioned that the cities are fairly small and can be explored in a day. i'm open to staying longer - would i be able to visit the other island as a day trip from dubrovnik or split? i'm not exactly a light packer so i'd hate to lug my luggage around all day long!

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: help with travelling to/from dubrovnik in november

Sorry but I truly believe you are not allowing yourself enough time to visit Croatia. During November you will find that the ferry schedules are rather limited and you may not be able to get from Dubrovnik to Split.

Perhaps a bit more research and you can decide if just a few nights is worth the effort. Croatia is a wonderful destination and you may want to spend more than just one week, there's more to see than just Split and Dubrovnik.

9. Re: help with travelling to/from dubrovnik in november

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 06:29