We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Itinerary and Car for about 11 days?

San Francisco...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Recommended Itinerary and Car for about 11 days?

Hello. My husband and I are in our 30s and going to Croatia for the first time, on a spur of the moment trip next month. We are flying into Zagreb on the 1st and flying out of Dubrovnik on the 12th. My initial plan was to rent a car for the entire trip:

1 - Zagreb

2 - Drive to NP Plitvice, spend night

3 - 4 - Zadar, stay 2 nights

5 - Sibenik

6 - 7 - Drive to Split/Trogir, stay 2 nights

8 - 10 - Spend time between Hvar, Korcula, Brac islands (I had not yet decided which and for how long)

11 - 12 Drive to Dubrovnik

But as I've started reading so many of the other itinerary recommendations in the forums, I'm starting to realize I may not need a car the whole time, and my itinerary my not make sense. Because this is such a last minute trip, and I'm just starting my research, I would really appreciate any advice anyone has to give. Thank you!!

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Itinerary and Car for about 11 days?

You might want to slow down and enjoy your trip. One cannot see all of the coast in one short 12 day trip. September is still a busy month, although it is nothing like August there will be some traffic. Roads here are not like the US, often you will not make the timing quickly. If you drop the car once you arrive on the coast, you will have to rely on the ferries or buses. There is not daily ferry service so you need to research much more. Spend time in some of your choices and experience the essence of our Croatian lifestyle.

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
for Parma, Cremona, Zadar
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Itinerary and Car for about 11 days?

The itinerary seems good to me. The car is always good options because you can stop where ever you want in the towns.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,050 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Itinerary and Car for about 11 days?

The itinerary seems ok to me. The only thing I would do is skip the one night in Sibenik and add that to the islands or Dubrovnik.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Itinerary and Car for about 11 days?

Maybe just small correction. Instead of:

6 - 7 - Drive to Split/Trogir, stay 2 nights

8 - 10 - Spend time between Hvar, Korcula, Brac islands (I had not yet decided which and for how long)

11 - 12 Drive to Dubrovnik

CONSIDER THIS:

6 - Trogir (stay in Trogir), next day trip to Solin (Salona - Roman Ruins) and partially Split

7 Split

8 South of Split (Omis, Makarska...) and sleep somewhere close to Metkovic

9 day trip to Mostar (Bosnia) and visit along Pocitelj and Blagaj (cool spring under the sharp cliff) and at evening return to Croatia (or you can sleep in Hotel Mogorjelo in Capljina)

10-11 Dubrovnik

I would avoid going to islands because of lost time and very busy schedule. Just slow down and enjoy yourself.

Have nice trip!

Edited: 23 August 2010, 06:17
5. Re: Recommended Itinerary and Car for about 11 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 05:17