We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rank Your Favorite Islands

US
Level Contributor
18 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Rank Your Favorite Islands

I know this is a tall order since there are a gazillion islands in Croatia, but for a first time visitor, I'm trying to get a feel of what you experts think are the best.

Don't worrry about location because I'm drawing on a blank canvas, but I think I want islands to see things on, not just to sail around. Maybe spend a few hours or a night. There are no limits.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
50,192 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rank Your Favorite Islands

I have been on a few islands in Croatia and I think in terms of things to see I would put Korcula on the top of my list just because of Korcula Town itself. But I think all of the islands have things to experience or see. I loved the beach at Baska on Krk, even though it was a bit crowded. I love the peacefulness of the island of Vis and you have the nearby Blue Caves of Bisevo there also. Hvar would give you some good nightlife and Brac would give you a real neat beach- Zlatni Rat. So I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. I also like the looks of Mljet, but have never been there.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rank Your Favorite Islands

Depends what you are looking for.... There are enough of them for almost each island for each taste. Wanna party? PAG. Wanna elegant style? Hvar. Wanna good wine? Korcula. Or Brac. Wanna medieval feel? Rab. Wanna family fun and sea food? Cres/Losinj...One of the most interesting islands is SUSAK near Losinj - the whole island is made of Sahara's sand, dumped somehow right there. So, there are plenty of options.

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rank Your Favorite Islands

Brac is wonderful!

4. Re: Rank Your Favorite Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 11:24
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rank Your Favorite Islands

HI there

I would like to visit another island not to touristy with a good choice of tavernas and great for walks but we don't like to stay in a town.

So if anyone has any ideas also don't like rip off places Korcula was a bit more expensive than the mainland but not to bad.

would even like to do 2 islands a week each time.

Cheers Dawn

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rank Your Favorite Islands

My first choice is Silba. Small island, without cars.

Silba also have a name Pedestrian island.

Second choice is Vis. Not to big butenough for maximum exploreing in 7 days.

random-tourist.blogspot.com

Edited: 05 October 2010, 16:02
Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rank Your Favorite Islands

For chuck43:

Than your choice can be Losinj and Krk. My sister lives in Losinj, and I lived there for 10 years. June and September can be phenomenal.

Do the research! 220 km of walking trails!

http://www.tz-malilosinj.hr/?lang=en-GB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaPvDK7UVks&feature=player_embedded#!

Edited: 06 October 2010, 04:35
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rank Your Favorite Islands

Thanks for that TVTKO

I Should have stated I need an island thats easy to get from Dubrovenik.

Cheers Dawn

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rank Your Favorite Islands

Private charter flight and you are there in less than 2 hours...

Just kidding....

Edited: 07 October 2010, 02:23
10. Re: Rank Your Favorite Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 06:17