We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

Worcs
Level Contributor
133 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go?

My husband fancies going to croatia next july, but i know nothing about it! I love nice beaches and scenery, but like to visit historic places of interest too. We have two teenagers in tow. What area would you recommend? And is it good value to go self catering and eat out or would a hotel work out better value for money? Any advice welcome!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

I'd first recommend a good guide book, but for beaches you should know that they are primarily pebble beaches, but I quite like them and the water is divine. There is something to recommend on virtually the entire coast, so I would base my choice on the best airfare deal. With teens, I would think you'd want somewhere more lively, so anywhere between Zadar and Dubrovnik.

Even without self catering, apartments are a much better deal that hotels.

Helpful websites:

http://croatia.hr/en-GB/Homepage

http://www.croatia-beaches.com/

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,315 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

I think you should look into renting an apartment and eating meals out. We had half board once at a hotel in Tucepi and I just didn't enjoy that as much as eating meals out. If you are looking for beaches, scenery and history I would suggest Dubrovnik first. Other suggestions would be Split and Korcula. But there are so many places that would fit with what you are looking for.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

Sonia,

It is probably best to find out which airport you can fly out of and into Croatia. e.g. is Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff or East Midlands better for you? do they fly to Zadar, Split or Dubrovnik? Check out a website like www.skyscanner.net to see who flies from wherever to wherever.

If flying to Split is best for you, then I recommend heading out to either Hvar Town on Hvar island or Bol on Brac Island. Both are easily reached in about an hour by catamaran from the port of Split. Your teenagers will be well catered for at both places.

If flying into Dubrovnik is best for you, staying in Dubrovnik is as good as any option and you can do day trips to a range of nearby islands, towns and villages.

4. Re: Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2011, 05:17