We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip for June 2011

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip for June 2011

Ok... we are so excited! We are going to be going to Croatia with some friends in June of next year. We'll only be able to stay for 7-10 days and we would like to ferry/fly over to Rome for 3 days or so as our friends have family in Croatia and we're planning on splitting up for part of the trip.

While in Croatia, we'll be staying with friends but I'd love to hear favorite restaurants, must sees, etc. We love food and wine and seeing new things.

Also, I've done a little bit of looking around and it sort of seems like it might make more sense just to fly over to Rome instead of the whole ferry thing. It looks like the flight would be about $140/pp round trip and it would take all of about 3 1/2 hours. (Zadar to Zagreb to Rome.) Any thoughts on this?

Also, which airport should we fly into in Rome?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip for June 2011

Have a look at my Croatia trip reports & photographs which will hopefully give you lots of ideas :-

Dubrovnik, Korcula :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g295371-i1555-k3…

Dalmatia trip report :-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303814-i6724-k225…

Plitvice Lakes & Kvarner trip report :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294453-i1554-k2…

Personally, I would fly to Rome as well. Happy travelling!

Split
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip for June 2011

Question: do you need to fly to Zagreb to visit your friends or is Zagreb just an idea? Because Rome is directly connected with Split (flight) and for your 10 days in Croatia I would definitely advise to see coastline.

Highlights: National park Kornati

National park Krka

National park Plitvicka jezera

National park Mljet

My favourite places: islands: Hvar, Korcula, Vis, Mljet, Sipan

towns: Dubrovnik, Split,

This might be very long message - but if you give me some hints about your general idea and I can be of more help

Helena

Split
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip for June 2011

You fly to Fiumicino airport, Rome (from Split)

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
for Parma, Cremona, Zadar
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip for June 2011

In june you can visit NP Plitvice, NP Kornati, travel from zadar to see the most important places on the coast: Sibenik, Split and Dubrovnik. You can also visit NP Krka if you have time.

You can choose to fly from Split, so you can avoid, once in Zadar, have to come back to Zagreb.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip for June 2011

Thanks so much for all of the tips, guys. My friends live in Zadar. The only reason I mentioned going back to Zagreb before going to Rome is because that's what most of the flights said that I looked up.

What would be the difference in time in going from Zadar to Split to Rome

Or Zadar to Zagreb to Rome?

What about price? Any airlines that you suggest?

As you can probably tell, I've never been to Croatia :)

California
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip for June 2011

You need to see Dalmatia. With only a few days take a flight to or from Rome and fly direct to Split or Dubrovnik (only 1 hour). I believe these flights in the summer are daily. Then spend your time on the Dalmatian coast and visit some islands this is the real experience. This is one of the most beutiful coast in the world so do not spend time in the hinterlands for just a few days.

Once you are on the coast Split or Dubrovnik you have a choice of land or ferry transportation (or a combination of both). Spend a few days on one or two islands while you work your way up the coast to Zadar. Split and Trogir are Unesco sights and worth seeing as well.

There are several itenieries you can create but part of the charm of the coast is the lifestyle. So what ever you choose do it at a pace that is relaxing and allows some spur of the moment choices.

ivo

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip for June 2011

visit the national parks of croatia.that's the best choice,dubrovnik is way out of your way.plitvice,krka,velebit and others are great.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning trip for June 2011

Here is my trip report and pictures (at the end of topic) at the beginning of June of this year...

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g294453-i1554-k3686…

9. Re: Planning trip for June 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2011, 06:18