We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croatia

Danville, CA
1 post
Save Topic
Croatia

We will be traveling with another couple to Croatia in September or October, 2011. Which month is better? What are the highlights? Where do we stay? What do we do? How much time do we really need to see all the TOP places/sights?

My mother is 100% Croatian (unfortunately she has passed) and I am very interested in seeing where her parents came from (Dubrovnik). Other than that - we're stumped - so please HELP!

Thank you in advance,

United States
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croatia

You might want to repost in the Croatia forum. This is Italy.

TAB

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Croatia

Hi Nannette,

Welcome to the forums! We've moved your topic here to the Croatia forum as TAB mentioned.

Thanks for participating and good luck with your trip research

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,705 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Croatia

I would rather go in September even though the crowds will probably be larger at that time. I would like to go then because then it would be warm enough to swim yet. Not sure about that in October. But if you aren't interested in the beach then I don't know that it matters. I think Dubrovnik is a must and going out to the islands is something you should look into. I would look into islands such as Korcula and Hvar. Not sure how much time you will be looking at but I think I would focus on Dubrovnik, Korcula, Split and Hvar. A great cultural experience would be to head to Mostar in Herzegovina. Also you could visit Krka National Park which is not very far from Split. What else are you interested in?

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Croatia

Come in late September our weather is usually better. Personally I believe that you need a month to discover and enjoy the charm and beauty of this magnificent country. Most will differ, but I've been here 3 years and still am discovering hidden gems.

Getting here from SFO is not difficult, but the best route I've found has been from SFO to Paris to Zagreb. Begin in the capital city, drive to Plitvice Lakes and then to the coast. You can visit Istria, then move down to Zadar, on to Split, Korcula, Mljet and finish in Dubrovnik.

Very good information can be found on the Croatian Tourist bureau website, along with the sites for each individual town.

Want to know more about Dubrovnik, then read my blog. By the way I am a Contra Costa expat living here now.

www.dubrovniklady.wordpress.com

http://croatia.hr/en-GB/Homepage

canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Croatia

Hello,

We are planning to travel to Croatia in mid August for about ten days and have been told it is very hot and busy. Unfortunately we can only go during this time. How difficult will it be to travel about? we will have a car.

LT

Moscow, Russia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Croatia

September is better because the weather is still good so you can swim if you want and it is not so crowded anymore. In October the weather is a bit variable. Highlights are islands (Kornati nat.park, Hvar, Vis, Korcula..), Pula in Istria, Dubrovnik, Trogir... Maybe you should start from the Norh part and travel South via Dubrovnik. How many days do you plan to stay?

7. Re: Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 15:16