We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary please!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Help with itinerary please!

Hi. My husband and I are going to Croatia in August to do a road trip. Very excited! The current ideas are:

Zagreb - 2 nights

Plitvice NP - 2 nights

Trogir - 2 nights

Split - 2 nights (and get rid of car)

Hvar or Korkula - 2 nights

Dubrovnik - 5 nights

We've just found that the flights are alot cheaper if we have another night so where would you spend it? I'm wondering about another night in Trogir to see the sites around it?

Or another night on one of the islands?

Which island? If Korkula, any suggestions of good places to stay?

Does this look ok? Any suggestions welcome. We are mid-20s and like a mixture of sight-seeing, walking and relaxing. Probably wouldn't go clubbing on our own but like being near bars and pubs. Sea views are a bonus.

Thanks!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,127 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary please!

I think I would take a night off of Plitvice... I really believe one night is sufficient there, just get there early in one day and leave the next. I would also look into going out to Vis if you can work it out...so relaxing there!

California
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary please!

August is a month full of tourist. Since Trogir and Split are close to each other, approximately 20KM apart you could stay in one of the places and visit the other a bit less packing your bags. Trogir is a small but quite nice historic town where as Split is a city with a lot to see and do.

So it is an option to just reduce some of the moving about. Since August is always full you should have your lodging pre-booked.

ivo

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary please!

The only reason we were thinking of staying in Split was to get rid of the car and spend a full day in Split. Is there enough to do in Split for a whole day? And I'm trying to choose between 2, 3 or 4 nights in Trogir as would like to see Krka and have the nights available. Or would we be better spending time on the islands?

Thanks for your help!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary please!

Split seems to have lots to see from what I've found out so far (as someone has already pointed out it's a lot bigger than Trogir) . The website virtual tourist has lots of pages on Split full of great info, photos etc. and I found this on New York Times travel pages …nytimes.com/2006/07/30/travel/30next.html

Have you looked at Zadar too? We are doing Plitvice-then Zadar 3 nights then to Split for 2 nights, stopping off in Sibenik and Trogir.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary please!

I would add another night on an island.

As to your other questions, I think 2 nights in Plitvice is good--for example, you arrive one day, see some of the park, and then the second day you have the entire day to hike--and rest afterward? (Note there are trails aside form the main park boardwalk ones) Though there is not a lot to do in evenings, Plitvice is a magical place and you won't regret 2 nights there.

I also think it's nice you have 2 nights in Zagreb, and overlooked and underrated place.

I agree about combining Trogir and Split--there are frequent buses between the two. If you are interested in Krka as well, then you could keep the car for another day and also see Sibenik.

I would start looking for that accommodation now because Trogir fills up and parking is always an issue. I think for Trogir/Split 3 nights is sufficient. Trogir is tiny, and Split's tourist attractions are easily seen in an afternoon (I'll let others debate the city--some love, some hate but it should be judged on its merits and not compared to the jewels like Dbv, Hvar, etc.).

The ferry schedule will then dictate how long you are on Hvar, because you can get a direct ferry or catamaran (without a car) to Korcula. Then you have the option of boat or bus to Dbv from Korcula.

My last suggestion is to remove nights from Dbv unless you have several day trips planned. Dbv is August will be crowded and you will miss the islands. I feel like you need time to absorb the islands, but Dubrovnik wows you upon seeing it but it not great for several days because of the crowds. I'd make it 3 nights max, with 2/3 each on Hvar and Korcula.

6. Re: Help with itinerary please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 05:19