We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

San Diego
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

Hi, Looking for thoughts on car rental. We would be picking car up in Split touring up coast into Slovenia (Julian Alps, Bled, Ljubljana) and ending in Zagreb. Can see dropping car in Slovenia is very expensive, so can keep car and drive to Zagreb. Two questions:

1. Any problem or issues driving a Croatian rental in/out of Slovenia? (rental car company, insurance, etc.)

2. Hertz seems to have better rates than AutoEurope...any suggestions on Hertz or other rental companies?

3. Finally, any "watch outs" I should be aware of?

Thank you so very much! Phil

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

1. I guess no issuing troubles (just drop off supercharges) but you'll have to mention going across the border .Border cops may ask for vehicle documents.

2. uni-rent.hr

3. Driving is "different" ( search forum for "Driving in Croatia").Deadly when wet.No right turns on red light.In Croatia pay as you go.Slovenia has pre-paid highway sticker ( dodging it ,is national sport).Get decent hi-res road atlas with well marked places of interest,scenic roads etc.

Happy trails

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

Phil, I have been doing so much research on this myself as we are picking up in Ljubljana and dropping off in Dubrovnik or Sarajevo (yes this is possible and while not cheap, not as expensive as I had thought it might be). The cheapest quote I got was from Sixt closely followed by Thrifty. I have got quotes from many other companies inc Hertz, Europcar etc, but these were by far the most reasonable. Make sure your quote is ALL inclusive and I would recommend getting that in writing (from past experience in Italy).

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

Phil, meant to add there will still be a one way charge for dropping off in Zagreb, although not huge as it is not far. It might therefore be still worth getting a quote for drop off in slovenia if that makes things easier- might not be a great deal more - it's all about balancing saving time, fuel etc

San Diego
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

Thank you Kefa and Corniglia!

San Diego
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

Kefa, I thought you might know the answer since it looks like you are from Rijeka.

We were going to be driving on a Tuesday late morning/afternoon from Plivice via Otocac - Senj - Rijeka to Postojna. I've heard that summer time coastal traffic can be bad (understandble). IF you know (or have time to respond), is it reasonable to make that drive in 5-6 hours with minimal stops?

Best regards, Phil

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

You should be able to make that drive in way less than the time you are thinking. The Viamichelin.com website says three and a half hours and it shouldn't be any more than that. I think viamichelin has the trip on the toll road though, not the coastal road. So if you are worried about the time, take the Autoceste!

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

Not from Rijeka but Möšćeñičkà Drägà ( I dare you to read it right ) but it's all sort of backyard to me.Checked with my secretary (over on the fling.com)...lucky you,I have 12 minutes of time to respond.

Summer is not all that bad outside Fri-(inbound) Sat (mixed)-Sun-( outbound).Plus,Rijeka by-pass ( after 37 years of construction) is (almost) completed.Rolling on Tuesday...therefore ( as Barry nailed it) in 5-6 hours you are deep in the caves.(At the by-pass exit,at Rupa),they will hit you with 1euro toll.)

After Plitvice you'll have your own share of nature's scents & sounds and route over Senj nicely adds up to it.Highway ( although longer) is way faster but driving inside guardrails is so boring.Keep it as an option for after nightfall,rainstorm.

San Diego
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

Hvala Kefa....when you say the "highway", are you referring to going north on A1 from Otocac? Thanks.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

Nema problema.A1 is the one.Toll highway to me,toll freeway to some ( for those driving on a parkway and parking on a driveway ?? )

---few more-----------------

At Ilirska Bistrica right turn to Knezak.After 3 initial minutes of biohazard reak It's a scenic shortcut to Pivka/Postojna.After the cave do not miss out Predjamski grad.Cool cliff carved castle.

Edited: 23 January 2011, 17:39
Lisbon, Portugal
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental for Croatia and Slovenia

Watch out with Rent a car called UNI-RENT:

They are a local agency with very poor service, old cars with 95.000 Kms and smelling really bad.

I rented a Group B -Peugeot 207, VW Polo or Hyundai Getz - and I was given a stinky and old Skoda Fabia. This car is not included in their list and they refused to change it although they had more cars

So, my advise in case of cars rentals, is NOT TO USE LOCAL AGENCIES.