We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days In Croatia - HELP!!!!

2 posts
Save Topic
10 Days In Croatia - HELP!!!!

We will be landing in Zagreb, because we have to. There are SO many places I want to go, but only have 10 days to do it. Definitely want to see Plitvice Lakes, but also Split, Dubrovnik, Pula. I would love to explore the cities, plus lay out on the nicest beaches. Can someone PLEASE help me figure out an itinerary, and should we take a sleeper train from Zagreb to Split?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
690 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days In Croatia - HELP!!!!

Hi Shawna, 10 days seems fine, it's not that bad, just as Zagreb is very good place to start from. You would normally do Zagreb- Istria (including Rovinj and Pula visit, and Opatija ) in say 2 days.

3 rd day would be say Opatija-Plitvice-Zadar-Split. Once you are in Split area, you can add some island day trips, or continue south to Dubrovnik. It is better to move with car , it will give you freedom you need and time to visit all the places. I can not recommend you train on that route. You are fine with 4 nights in Dubrovnik so try to adjust to this more or less. Cheers.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,538 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days In Croatia - HELP!!!!

Will you be driving? viamichelin is a great site for alternative routes and dtriving times. I've been using it a lot for our trip, also flying into and out of Zagreb (because we have opted to).

Dubrovnik is a long way south in Croacia and in fact we are giving it a miss this trip (planning on Dubrovnik and Croatia-south-of-Split another time) So we are going straight to Plitivice (overnight) -Zadar (3 nights) -Split (2 nights) and then spending more time in Istria. before we go back to Zagreb for a couple of nights.

I think you're stretching yourself, making it more stressful covering that distance in 10 days and Opatija-Plitvice-Zadar-Split strikes me as an incredibly long day, Plitvice certainly need a few hours at least to take it in. On other posts people have suggested spending less time in Dubrovnik as it's small , and in summer gets really crowded with people off cruise-ships.

You do know that Croatian beaches are not generally sandy, more likely pebbly, or concrete, even so not ideal for laying out on?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,051 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days In Croatia - HELP!!!!

Fly from Zagreb to Dubrovnik on Croatian Air and work your way back to Zagreb in the ten days. I would suggest skipping Pula though... a bit too far out of the way if you want to get to Dubrovnik and back in ten days.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days In Croatia - HELP!!!!

You're trying to do most of the country in 10 days and you may end up just rushing from place to place. Drop Pula or Dubrovnik - i.e. the north or the south and you have something less frantic adn mroe pleasurable.

Zagreb
Level Contributor
14 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Days In Croatia - HELP!!!!

As someone already said, rushing from one place to another will only make your visit hard, especially because of lack of fast connections between Croatian regions.

Zagreb is beautiful and worth exploring at least for a day, so I recommend you not to rush south immediately. Try Gornji Grad (Upper Town) walks, some museums and coffee or cocktails in the numerous cafes. The next day take a speed train from Zagreb to Split (approx 3 hours) and stay there for a few days. There are some nice islands around Split ideal for daytrips and enjoying the beach.

In the end, you can take a bus from Split to Dubrovnik, stay for a day or two and then fly back from Dubrovnik to Zagreb.

6. Re: 10 Days In Croatia - HELP!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 05:19