We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

Does anyone have any suggestions on traveling from Dubrovnik to Krk? We will not be renting a car. I've seen there is a bus that goes to Split. After that, should we take another bus? Is that the best way?

Thanks for your help

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
715 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

Hi jane, it is true, there is a bus from Dubrovnik to Split, but you need to reach to Rijeka, and then take taxi or local bus to KRK island. Also, you may take overnight ferry from Dubrovnik to Rijeka and make the trip very easy. It all depends of your timing and budget, also, if you are taking a bus to Split, you could overnight there as well, it is a beautiful place to visit :-)

Cheers.

Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

Thank you

The overnight ferry may be the way to go. Do you have any idea which would be faster? We were thinking of spending 1 night in Split if necessary, but have roots inKrk and want to get there as quickly as possible.

California
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

The quickest way is by bus but traveling the coast by ferry makes the trip an adventure. If the schedule allows spend a day in Split which is a great small city where you can meander through the maze of small streets within the palace walls.

ivo

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
715 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

Bus ride from Dubrovnik to Split normally takes 4 and half hours, from Split to Rijeka almost the same. You can split the journey in Split as I suggested at first, so take the bus first and from Split continue by ferry, it is overnight ferry and it departs every night, however please do check the timetable.

Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

Thank you so much. That sounds like a good idea. I thihnk we'll take the morning bus from Dubrovnik and spend the afternoon in Split, then catch the night ferry to Krk. I guess we'll have to just visit Split with our luggage. We were planning on spending our last day there as it will be convenient to catch our flight from there (already booked). Do you know the website for ferry info?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
715 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

There are lockers in Split just close to the bus station, just ask someone when you arrive. Ferries you can look at

http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?lang=2

cheers and happy travel, do enjoy Croatia ! :-)

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

I thought the ferry only went twice a week not every night?

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

Of course the ferry will be running twice a week only:

jadrolinija.hr/pdfs/…202011.pdf

Once in Rijeka, ask for bus station Žabica , you can walk there or take the cheap taxi.The buses run more or less each hour, timetabe here: www.autotrans.hr

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
715 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

Thanks for info Jelsa , so is it twice a week Split-Rijeka on Marco Polo? Regards.

Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from Dubrovnik to Krk

I am so totally confused now. All sound like good options if only I had more time. Is driving from Split to Krk and then back to Split airport a good option? There will be 7 of us with luggage. Is the drive from Split bad. So, now I'm thinking bus from Dubrovnik to Split and then renting a car. If we had more time, We'd taket the ferry. You all have offered me so much information. Thank you again.