We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

I'm looking for a really nice, preferably old, atmospheric house on the coast for a week at the beginning of July. We probably need a swimming pool, but close to the sea and no pool might also work. I've seen lots of houses on the various sites I've found by Googling, but most of the properties are modern, soulless places with zero atmosphere. We want somewhere with real character, stone walls, shady corners, lots of plants, etc. The sort of place that's fairly easy to find in Italy or France, but we want to be in Croatia. Am I asking too much?

We were looking at Hvar, and would prefer an island (or mainland coastal area) with some vegetation, but would be happy to stay anywhere between Rijeka/Istria and the Dubrovnik area.

We're taking the train from London to Venice, staying there for two nights, then renting cars and driving into Croatia, flying home from Split or Dubrovnik.

Hoping someone can help with the house idea. Many thanks.

Richard

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,320 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

There definitely are such houses in Croatia - my husband and I own a very old traditional Istrian stone house with tons of character with gorgeous garden in a rural area. However, it does not sleep ten people. I will look into this for you and see whether I can find anything. No one I know personally in Istria owns a pool except our neighbour but they live there year round. I know there definitely IS such a thing, though. The issue may be sleeping ten. Will get back to you. We live in Canada but go to Croatia whenever possible as it is SO gorgeous!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

Thanks so much for your quick reply from wintery Edmonton. I'll look forward to hearing more about possible houses (four of us stayed near Porec a few years ago and loved it).

If I can help you or anyone with Kenya or other Africa queries, you know where I am!

Richard

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,320 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

We have always wanted to go to South Africa - we have a few physician friends from J'Burg. We also have very good friends in Botswana who keep inviting us over! We would love to see that part of the world.

Porec is our "home town" in Istria - where we do our banking, groceries, etc. Our house is not far from there (only about 10 minutes). Will hopefully be able to help track something down for you! Would you prefer to stay somewhere new this time (i.e. not Porec)? Unfortunately I do not know a lot about Hvar and do not know anyone there personally.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
692 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

Hi Yankari, it will be quite a mission but it's nice to see there are people who love Croatia, and more over , who have clear ideas of how Croatian holidays should look like - that's cool :-) I have to investigate on this subject and will let you know if any information pop up. Good luck and cheers to all!!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

Have you tried looking on holiday-rentals.co.uk? They have lots of properties in Croatia incl for bigger groups I think. It's a UK site but you don't have to pay in pounds.

vrbo is another site i've used; in both cases you are put in touch with owners/managing agents right at the beginning.

Also, just tried googling "holiday house pool sleeps 10 croatia" got several hits, first was holiday rentals. And some of these look good: http://www.croatianvillaholidays.com/

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

Here are more sites for you to look at:

Croatian Gems has numerous properties to accomodate 10 and also a number in traditional houses; Croatianvillas.com; and Dubrovnikapartmentsource.com

The first 2 sites lists villas throughout Croatia.

There are plenty out there if you can find them - this is just a start.

7. Re: Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 20:32
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

email alan from secret dalmatia, he will know the perfect house. tell him his friends from idaho sent you. he is VERY knowledgable about most anything concerning croatia.

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

This company is not allowed to be advertised again on the Croatia forum !! Please adhere to the rules of TA

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a really nice old house for 10 people

KORCULA,i am not the company...i am a former patron , using his services!!!

i have traveled all over the world, and used his services in oct last year. i consider him a friend, as we keep in contact. heavens, he took us hiking, drove his own car to show us the land...friends, because we are thankful that he did such a great job. he loves his country and knows all the ins and outs and could help these people. these people are asking for help, like i did , when researching croatia...and found alan. there are many people on this forum that have used his services and if you checked my posts, we just used his agency. i would have never found vis, had it not been for him, and i dream of coming back to croatia one day...due to the fabulous time that we had as PAYING guests.