We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice please........

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Any advice please........

........we would like to spend 2-3 weeks in Croatia maybe August/September. We would like to be away from the touristy parts and would like to rent self catering accommodation, by the sea for my husband and myself (very fit 60's).....any advice would be welcome.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice please........

What are your interests? Do you like sailing/beaches/ fishing/tennis/ hiking historical places ? If you can give a bit more of an idea of your wishes, it would definitely be easier to guide you to a good location - I would recommend, if you are there for 2/3 weeks, that you divide your time over a couple of locations. The Dalmatian coast is wonderful for island hopping, sailing, fabulous historical sites etc. etc.

Try taking a look at self catering accommodation options on flipkey.com which is a tripadvisor website - there are lots of great places on that and you will have the benefit of independent reviews too.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice please........

Thank-you - we love the sound of the Dalmatian Coast?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,099 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice please........

Going out to the islands is a great experience. I would suggest flying into Split and then heading out to places such as Vis, Brac or Hvar. I have also always liked the looks of the island of Lastovo and I think for the most part its off the beaten track. Maybe that is something to look into.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice please........

Also, I would go in September as August is very busy and much more accommodation is available (and at lower cost).

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice please........

Thank-you for the advice - good possibilities

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice please........

For a peaceful, self-catering experience I recommend the island of Lopud (off of Dubrovnik). It' s a small island with no cars, great swimming, and beautiful walks. We rented a house, took the ferry to a large farmer's market at the Port of Gruz to stock up on supplies, and spent an unforgettable week of our honeymoon.

Have a great trip!

7. Re: Any advice please........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 12:17