We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sail Croatia Adventures reviews

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Sail Croatia Adventures reviews

Good evening I know this post was up before. But I like to ask about for anyone who has done a Sail with Sail Croatia Adventures.

What are your thoughts on them, I was considering a Navigator trip one way from Dubrovnik to Split

www.sail-croatia.com

Thanks all. I hope this is a reputable one.

Otherwise. If someone else can recommend some other companies that sail out of Dubrovnik, I am welcome to see them. thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sail Croatia Adventures reviews

If you are an older traveller then the Premier boat is the one for you. We had 30 very compatible fellow Traveller's who were full of fun but retired at a reasonable hour. The staff were fantastic and the places we visited were fascinating.we had a wonderful week and I would recommend Sail Croatia for someone wanting a restful holiday with afternoon visits to fascinating to wonderful historical sites.

Melb
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sail Croatia Adventures reviews

hi AussieTraveller

we have just started our research into cruising Croatia - is SailCroatia the cruise company that you would recommend? we are in out early 50's (but young in mind and heart) and am looking at a reasonably good quality boat. There are so many to choose from just don't know where to start

Venice, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sail Croatia Adventures reviews

Hey,

Just got back from my sail-croatia trip. I had a blast in croatia...but buyer beware...there are certain aspects about these cruises you should DEFINITELY consider before booking.

If you are a backpacker looking to party- NAVIGATOR.

If you are a couple or older looking to relax- PREMIER. (However, all boats moor together, so its still very loud at night..no escaping it).

The things to be aware of:

1. The food was terrible. Canned vegetables, old fruit, monotonous menu (soup, soup, soup!) and just a very basic culinary approach a college kid could probably outshine with "Cooking for Dummies" textbook.

2. The partying. I have nothing against people having a good time, in fact, i love to have a good time. But the system in which the boats uses appeals only to the party people and disregards everyone else within 100 meters of any and all boats. First, mooring all the boats together ensures that even if 1 boat is having a party- all boats have to put up with it. One boat in our group had a sound system that could have shown up the systems at a outdoor music festival it was so loud. Not to mention a smoke machine. A smoke machine...really? We were with 2 other couples and we had the same conversation on day 2: should we get off this trip now? We all decided to stay because we thought it would get more tame as the days passed...we were dead wrong.

The midnight noise curfew was not enforced. Nor is it really a good time to set the tone for the partying and how to set the tone for respecting other passengers. If we are in a port that has bars and clubs (and they all do...in fact, it seemed sometimes thats all we stopped for) then why not have a 10pm curfew and get people off the boat and into the clubs/bars? the 12am curfew is too "in the middle" and encourages people to stay not he boat screaming, dancing, partying until after midnight, and then every hour until we shove off to the next island around 7am. This is just a silly policy that need more thought. Strangers popping their head into our room every 10 mins (could not close door or would have sweated to death), people noisily walking by, etc. is to be expected.

3. We paid extra for a room with a toilet and shower and above deck. We did not pay extra to be next to the engine room which puked out diesel and heat ALL DAY AND NIGHT. So while we liked having some privacy- we didn't really enjoy the sweltering nights and fuel dowsed air. In fact- i slept upstairs on the sundeck for 3 nights...choosing to deal with the more immediate noise rather than deal without he noise AND the heat and fuel smell. The below deck rooms had air conditioning (again- no mention of this feature AT ALL...which meant those who pid less had more silence and a temperate room to sleep in....what???

This is a floating hostel- expect as much. The website is all about "relaxation" and other misleading adjectives and sales pitches that paint this cruise as something it is not.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sail Croatia Adventures reviews

Cruising the Dalmatian Coast aboard the gullet ATLANTIA

Sheila and I were excited about the prospect of witnessing our first grandchild's graduation from Aberystwyth University in Wales. Our daughter was just as excited and planned a family get together in Tuscany following the ceremony. She set about renting a Villa in Chainti that was more than adequate and centrally located for the attractions that everyone would want to visit.

Sheila and I decided that since we had some time and the big expense was traveling to Europe business class we should visit some parts of Europe we hadn't seen before. We had visited Italy about 25 years ago and were looking forward to the visit with our children and grandchildren but we also wanted to see some new areas on our own.

I became the “Travel Agent”. Our scheduling began with a decision to visit Vilnius. Sheila's great grandfather was the chief rabbi there in the late 19th century. We then decided to go to Dublin since neither of us had been there and I was part Irish and part Scotch. We were then going to Wales for graduation then to Tuscany. Since we would be close to Croatia we decided to see Dubrovnik and some of the Dalmatian Islands, then return home via Rome. It all made good sense.

The portion of the trip in Western Europe was not difficult to plan since we were planning to travel by rail and rail information was redily available. The part of our trip to Croatia was somewhat problematic and I feel obliged to share our experience.

I began research on trip advisor along with other Google searches to determine what we could visit in just 7 to 10 days and the best way to visit them. Sheila and I are both interested in the seeing the way others live, how there comunities differ from ours and how they got that way. We also have found that World Heritage Sites are of great interest. We decided to focus on the Dalmacia coast area in the south since it contained a number of important destinations in a manageable small area. Most of the sites were on the Dalmacia Islands and visiting them became a planning problem until we found that small boat charters and cruises were well within our budget constraints. We could not find any reliable reviews or critiques of these boats or companies so we took a chance. The Web page http://www.dalmatiancoast.com/ contained a description of many of these boats. I did not know anything about boats, I'm from Indiana, but some looked better than others. I called DalmationCoast a division of World Sailing Cruises Ltd. In London and they reccomended the Atlantia, one of the boats we liked from web page. We made several google inquiries and several tripadvisor requests attempting to get more information regarding the boat and the company. All our efforts were unsuccessful. We decided to take a chance and booked passage from Dubrovnik to Split via Sipan, Mljet, Korcula, Vis, Hvar & Brac in July. We had many second thoughts, such as, the quality of the boat, the quality of the service, the food, and would we be with compatable shipmates.

We Traveled from Bologna to Bari along the Italian East coast on a new fast train and transferred to Jadrolinija Ferries for an overnight crossing to Dubronik. We left at 21:00 and arrived at 07:00. It was not a plesant crossing since the ship was not clean and we did not get an ensuite shower and toilet. We disembarked in Dubrovnik walked about 100 yards down the dock when a young man approached us and introduced himself as DOMAGOJ, the captain of the Atlantia. He was very nice and polite and appeared very capable, one of our concerns eliminated. He said we could not board until 14:00 but he would take our luggage on board now so we could get around Dubrovnik without it. A second concern was eleminated. We took a cab for the short ride into Dubrovnik and spent the day sightseeing in an amazing restored Medevil city. We had a delightful lunch in one of the many cafe's did some shopping and returned to the dock after the crowds from the huge cruise ships inundated the city. When going to Dubrovnik plan to be there early in day before all the passengers grom cruise ships. The city is worth seeing in spite of the late day crouds.

We returned to the dock and were welcomed aboard by Captain DOMAGO], given a quick tour and shown our cabin. Although acomodations aboard small sail boats is extreemly tight our cabin was quite comfortable. We didn't plan to spend much time there. We were introduced to the Croation crew of three. Tom was our cook and Ivan was the deck hand. All of them extreemly pleasant, friendly and helpful. A sign on the gangway stated that “Nobody is perfect except the Captain”. A third concern was eliminated.

Our travel companions began to arrive. A young couple from Austrailia on a delayed honeymoon. Another older retired couple from Austrailia. Five passengers were from France, a family of three and two of their friends. Fortunitly they spoke much better english than Sheila and I spoke french. It was a great mixture of people that genuinly enjoyed each other. Our last concern was eleminated.

Our trip could no have been better. The schedule was unhurried. The food was amazing. The crew did their best to accommodate the the prefences of all of us. Every meal was an experience. The presentation was on a par with the best restaraunts all prepared fresh from scratchin a tiny cooking area.

Each day started with a breakfast that offered a variety of juices, baked goods, cereals, cold meats and cheeses, eggs cooked to order and cofee or tea. We then embarked at about 09:00 for our next destination. We would stop for lunch at a quit cove for swimming and lunch. Our arrival at the next port was usually about 15:00 0r 16:00. We would disembark for sightseeing and dinner ashore. Most would return at about 20:00 or 21:00. The crew would make recommendations about what to see and where to eat. The pace was quite liesurely. Each port of call offered something different. Some were large and some were very small. Two were World Heritage Sites. All were interesting

At he end of the cruise there was a lot hugging and exchanging of addresses by all, even the crew.

Sheila and I would certainly do this trip again to different islands of course. We would attempt to find friends to share the expense so we could book the entire boat and set our own itinerary. The cost for this trip was remarkably inexpensive, about 1,000 pounds for 7 days including food per person.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sail Croatia Adventures reviews

Matt,

Did you travel on a Premier boat?

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sail Croatia Adventures reviews

Matt,

Did you travel on a Premier boat?

7. Re: Sail Croatia Adventures reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:41