We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Katarina Cruise Lines

Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Katarina Cruise Lines

I was planning to book a one cruise on Katarina Cruise Lines in August this year from Split.

I have read some negative reviews on this forum and was wondering does any one else have any experiences on this cruise line or are there any recommendations for any other companies to use?

We were hoping to book the more A+ category which are apparently more luxurious.

Thanks in advance

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Katarina Cruise Lines

I would not worry that much about one complaint. Katarina line is a reliable company and I am sure that they are taking great care of their clients

Level Contributor
1,705 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Katarina Cruise Lines

Bad review was exception.They are in business for some time and positive ratio prevails.

Test their customer care cover...ask few "what if" questions and take it from there.If they delay reply or sugarcoat - shop elsewhere.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Katarina Cruise Lines

We got back last night from our K5 cruise abord the Kaptetan Bota Duo with Katarina Cruise Lines and we are very sad to be home. If you like crystal clear blue green water, sunning on the deck and strolling medieval walled cities this is the vacation for you. The small boats make it easier to befriend your travel companions, as opposed to large impersonal ships where you may not come in contact with the same person more than once. Things are very friendly on small ships.

You will be on shore from about 4 p.m. every afternoon and earlier at Mljet, for example. Generally you spend the morning getting to the next location and then the early part of the afternoon swimming and head to port after it cools down a bit. We loved our crew and our shipmates. We had a dance party one night that was a blast. There are plenty of places to lounge on deck in shade or sun and no problem getting the spot you wanted, either chatting with others or alone by yourself.

Breakfast could be more plentiful - go for the English breakfast upgrade if you want more food, but lunch is huge and much better than any other cruise I've been on. I've read that Katarina doesn't pay the ships a lot, so tip well and respect the "no bringing drinks on board" rule because it's the only way they make a little extra.

With regard to the mix of people: we had a group of 20-somethings, a few in their 30's and the rest were over 50 - for a total of 29 people on our boat. Everyone was friendly and bonded pretty well as a group. Upper cabins have the opportunity to open their doors to catch breezes, but we were below decks which had the advantage of airconditioning in the hall. We just left the door open while we read before bedtime and then closed up when we went to sleep. Others propped their doors open all night to keep things chilly in the room.

My suggestions for improvement: Fresh fruit at breakfast, and a bit more time on shore seeing historical parts of Croatia. Also would like it if there were no minimum number of participants on excursions. None of the excursions listed in the literature got enough people signed up and so they didn't happen, but we had a guide book and most places are small, so it was fine. All in all, we'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Katarina Cruise Lines

Hi Susan,

I am thinking of making the same plans as you, but for 2012. Can you tell me if you did actually go on the A+ category boat and how it was?

Venice, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Katarina Cruise Lines

Just returned from a great trip (K2) on Katarina. The experience was lovely. The staff was tremendous. The small ship experience was the best. Met a lot of lovely people on the trip, lots of swimming on a daily basis in warm clear water, investigating charming walled cities as well. The food was ok, not exceptional but for the price paid it was well worth it. I would recommend it. Actually, on a rethink, for the price it was outstanding. A very special experience.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
6 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Katarina Cruise Lines

We took a Katarina Kvarner Bay KL1 cruise on the Meridijan last month. We were very disappointed in the way that Katarina failed to take care of the guests on board. We had made a similar cruise the year before with Adria travel on the Magellan, and it was fantastic. The major let-down on the Meridijan was that the crew was unhelpful and unfriendly, and Katarina did little to address concerns expressed by passengers. They tried to nickel and dime us for everything, and Katarina would not honor the services that they themselves had printed on their brochures.

If you are looking for a relaxing cruise in a gorgeous place where you are ignored and left completely alone, where there are no organized outings or activities, where you pretty much swim for 5 hours a day and have a place to sleep at night, then I recommend Katarina's Meridijan. If you prefer a guided cruise with activities, excursions and excellent service, I say go for Adria Travel's Magellan.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Katarina Cruise Lines

I LOVED Katarina Line's K2 cruise that we took this July. We stayed under the boat and it actually seemed the quieter option. (It's hard to control noise levels when docked at some ports). Good food and nice staff. I believe it's a great way to see a lot of Croatia at a reasonable price. Love to go back again!

8. Re: Katarina Cruise Lines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 10:16