We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in Croatia...

Danville, California
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks in Croatia...

...possibly mid-April arrival. Admittedly, I have not yet done my homework but I'll ask anyway. We would like to rent an apartment/house/villa in two areas of the country. I'd simply like to find two bases from which we can explore by rental car. Any ideas? Thanks!

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in Croatia...

First week: Samobor for Zagreb, North-western Croatia, Bled lake in Slovenia

Second week: Zadar for Plitvice, Split and Trogir, Kornati islands, Krka waterfalls.

California
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in Croatia...

It depends on what you want. If you want a country, village, or city atmosphere. If this is your first trip then one option is base near or in Split for a City and historic review of the coast. From there you can spend a day or a couple on one of more of the islands. Visit Trogir for a day and Krka National Park on another. Drive down the coast to Omis or further to Mostar.

For a second week and a different perspective you can stay in Istria peinsula which some people campare a bit to Tuscany. However it is a compulation of coast and inland farming villages. This region has been under Austria, Italy and now Croatia. From Istria you can make an easy day trip to Slovenia as well. Enjoy. It is a wonderful coast with great people and a marvelous life style. Like Napa or Sonoma on the sea shore.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks in Croatia...

However, it is to be remembered that April is deifinitely not the tourist season and not everything will be open on the coast.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks in Croatia...

It's time to do my homework!!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,560 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks in Croatia...

I would go with two bigger places..like Dubrovnik and Split. Or maybe Split and Zagreb?

Danville, California
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks in Croatia...

Although we have fallen in love with many large cities (Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome), we love staying in B&Bs or small hotels in towns and villages OR in the countryside. We love architecture, churches, (some) museums, scenic locations, walled cities, local markets, people watching, etc. We have tired of ancient ruins!

We are NOT going for "sea" activities but we do enjoy beautiful coastal drives. The same applies to waterfalls and well-forested parks. "Been there, done that."

We generally travel a little off-season (early May) but thought an April trip might be nice. Still, we're flexible.

That said, I will now go to Borders.com to buy a travel guide or two!!

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two weeks in Croatia...

If you love staying in towns and villages I HIGHLY recommend Istria for at least a week. There are tons of little hilltop villages to visit that exude charm and atmosphere. Excellent B&B/apartment possibilities in rural locations. Good markets, architecture, churches with frescoes, scenery, walls you can walk, etc. Perhaps google Rovinj, Porec, Motovun, Hum, Groznjan, Gracisce, Zvarsje, Draguc for ideas. Plitvice Lakes are stunning - foresty with pristine aquamarine waterfalls.

Then perhaps you could make your way south as mentioned for another week. Gorgeous coastal drives/views.

April is a gorgeous time in Croatia, as is May.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,560 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two weeks in Croatia...

I think with what you said I would go with the combination of Split and Zagreb.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two weeks in Croatia...

I'm certainly leaning toward that Istria idea. It sounds like our kind of place.

There are names that ring a bell (Mostar, Dubrovnik, Zagreb, Split) but right now I know virtually NOTHING about them.

Oh...did I mention how much we like food and wine? Factor that in!!

10. Re: Two weeks in Croatia...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 05:16