We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoping to move to Croatia

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hoping to move to Croatia

Hello!

I'm hoping to move to Croatia next April for one year. I am a U.S. citizen currently in India but I emailed the Croatian Embassy to ask about visa possibilities, etc. I do not want to work in Croatia since I am self-employed so I'm aiming for a temporary stay visa.

Any advice on moving to Croatia would be appreciated. I'm not sure what city yet but Split might be nice.

Does anyone know any other good cities? I'm ideally looking for a nice town/city which doesn't have to be coastal (would be a nice perk) but that is well-located. I would like an apartment that is reasonably priced:

usd $300-$600

Any tips on good apartment sites would be terrific!

Sorry this is a bit scattered but I've never been to Croatia and have heard wonderful things about it.

Any and all information is appreciated!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoping to move to Croatia

My suggestion is that you make a trip to Croatia and start reading about Croatia, not rely on "I have heard wonderful things" only.

You should consider your preferences: climate,old towns, modern cities , nature, kind if sports you like etc.

Edited: 17 July 2011, 16:21
Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoping to move to Croatia

My suggestion is Samobor or Jastrebarsko near Zagreb. They are well connected to the big center Zagreb and to the good network of Croatian highways.

Mentioned in this post
Samobor
Samobor
Zagreb County, Croatia
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoping to move to Croatia

Well, I've been searching around and to be honest, it's pretty overwhelming. There is such a variety of towns and cities and frankly, I'm not sure where to start! I am interested in Croatia since it has a less expensive standard of living compared to most other areas of Europe, which is definitely a plus.

I've read that Zagreb can be more on the expensive side. I just looked up Samobor and Jastrebarsko and they seem like nice towns but kind of small... Any idea of expenses, etc for them?

Ideally I would like warm climate for most of the year (which, according to travel articles, rules out the interior), maybe an old town near a modern city, and preferably near a coastal area. This is the reason I was maybe thinking of areas near Split. I am posting on this forum just to get feedback and information.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Samobor
Samobor
Zagreb County, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
54,469 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoping to move to Croatia

How about something like Primosten, Vodice, Sibenik or Trogir?

Mentioned in this post
Vodice
Vodice
Sibenik-Knin County, Croatia
Sibenik
Sibenik
Sibenik-Knin County, Croatia
Trogir
Trogir
Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoping to move to Croatia

Do consider that an apartment will cost much more in a coastal touristic town than in inland .

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoping to move to Croatia

Split is good choice for you especially because is the cheapest city in Croatia according to the Croatian Trade Unions consumer basket calculation.

http://tinyurl.com/Split-cheapest

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoping to move to Croatia

I would do as Jelsa suggested. Visit Croatia FIRST. It is truly a wonderful country but as you know, vacationing somewhere and living there are two different things. My husband and I bought a house in Istria and LOVE it but did tons of detailed research, hired a lawyer and so on. We visited several times first. I know you would only be there a year so you would not have to be quite so organized but I would take two weeks to get an idea of the area you would like to be in. You want to find the best spot you can possibly be so you must do research.

I personally would not want to live in a touristy city as I abhor crowds but that is just me. Split does have its good points, though, for transportation and restaurants. There are lots of interesting daytrips from there, too. The history is remarkable. Great climate does not necessarily rule out the interior. If you go inland just a few miles you would be just fine.

Consider how close you need to be to an airport, transport links, etc.

I am sure you will love Croatia wherever you decide to stay!

Mentioned in this post
Jelsa
Jelsa
Hvar Island, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Split
Split
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoping to move to Croatia

Hey all,

thank you for some many informative responses!

barrymanilow, those areas look amazing!

I agree it would be prudent to visit first but seeing as how a year really isn't that long, I'm sure if I'm unhappy in one place, I can move to another. I'm also really in no position to be able to go and scope it out beforehand just because of how hectic travel is for me right now.

Does anyone have recommendations for trustworthy sites for apartments?

Thank you so much!

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoping to move to Croatia

I liked Split a lot, however I have never visited Northern Croatia.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoping to move to Croatia

I like Split as well but LOVE Istria. But then I'm a wee bit biased. In my opinion there are few places in Croatia where one could go wrong. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe