We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

Hi Everyone

So I'm planning the honeymoon In East/Centeral Europe. I have planned for Croatia to be the 2nd stop after Poland. I will be spending a week there landing in Split and departing from Zagreb. I have the tickets in hand so the point of entry and exit can't change. I have a week starting Feb 1st and ending Feb 9th. My initial plan was to spen the first night in Split and leave the next morning to Dubrovnik to spend 2 nights then leave back to Split for another night. The next Morning we would leave to Piltvice Lakes and spend the night then take the 3 pm bus to Zagreb and spend 3 nights there before departing early morning. All transportation would be by bus.

Considering the time of year, is this a good plan? Or would you suggest something else?

Your help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,133 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

I wouldn't spend three nights in Zagreb. I would spend only a night or two there and spend the extra night or two out on an island or in Zadar.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

The weather could be a problem. So, I would follow the highway route Split-Šibenik-Zadar- Zagreb.

Between Zadar and Zagreb - Plitvice- if weather will be OK.

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

Thanks for the tip

So I will change the route so that it's Split (1 night), Dubrovnik (2 nights), Split (1 night), Zadar (2 nights),Plitvice Lakes (1 night), Zagreb (1 night)

Does that sound better? How do I know if the weather is appropriate for the lakes or not?

Thanks again

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

It will depend of the road conditions, which I cannot predict. Last year we had a lot of snow in February.

Too much sitting in the bus IMO.

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

Will keep that in mind.

Thank you so much for the tip

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,133 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

I guess I didn't see the February part of the plan in the original post. I do like your second itinerary now, except there might be too much time on the bus and not enough time to relax.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

i too,think that is a good itiinerary...but ,darn, you will miss my favorite island...vis. it would be hard to get there, and well, very isolated. wonder what plitvice lakes is like in feb??? make sure to tell us. there is a great place to stay in sibenik...look up the arte cafe, and if you decide on it, make sure you get the place downstairs. fabulous

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

Hi guys and Gals

I need your advise. I will arrive to Dubrovnik today by 5pm spend The rest of the day there and the whole of tomorrow before leaving the following morning to split (so 1.5 days) from there after I will spend 2 days in Split, 2 days in Zadar before heading to Zagreb through the lakes. I feel the I could probably reduce either Split or Zadar to one day and get an extra day in Dubrovnik. What are your thoughts?

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
936 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

I would take a day from Zadar, as Split being bigger, will take more time to explore and I would make a side trip to Trogir as well.

Have a lovely honeymoon!

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting croatia as part of a honeymoon. Advice needed pls

The weather conditions are snowy and windy today, highway in direction Plitwice closed for traffic..