We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croatia next summer

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Croatia next summer

Hi there,

My husband and I want to go to Croatia next summer and would appreciate some advice on the best places to see. We would like places by the coast really and are thinking about island hopping...any recommendations would be very welcome. Thanks.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,170 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croatia next summer

How long will you go for and what other interests do you have?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Croatia next summer

Hi,

We will go for 10 days/ 2 weeks depending on what we decide to do. We both like outdoorsy stuff, snorkelling, walking/ hiking/ cycling/ swimming. We'd like to see some beautiful scenery. We'd like somewhere nice to go out in the evenings but not touristy/ mad busy, just quaint and pretty. We both loved Folygandros in the Greek Islands last year. We are in our late thirties, early fourties. We would maybe like to see a city also - how long would you say it's worth staying in Dubrovnik for? I read somewhere last year that Croatia has 'arguably the best beaches in the world' so we would like to see some of those. Thanks, Ruth.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,170 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Croatia next summer

I think a couple nights in Dubrovnik is a must! But it most likely will be crazy busy there. What month are you planning on going? After that I would suggest going out to the islands and maybe see if you can spend a couple of nights on Korcula and Hvar and possibly Vis. Korcula will be pretty laid back and Vis is really laid back but very very beautiful. The beaches in Croatia are nice, but you won't find many sandy beaches. The water is absolutely crystal clear though because of the lack of sand.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Croatia next summer

Hi - thank you for the tips. I was thinking of July, do you think that would be too busy? Do all the ferries go from Dubrovnik or is it best to fly in somewhere else? Also if we are going island hopping is it easy to get decent accommodation when we get there or is it best to pre-book? Thanks, Ruth.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,170 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Croatia next summer

July will be busy throughout Croatia, but especially busy in Dubrovnik. There are some ferries that leave Dubrovnik, but Split is the place that has many many ferries going to many different places. From Split you can easily get out to the islands of Brac, Vis and Hvar. So Split might be a place to fly into if any of those places interest you. Also, I would pre-book in July. Ask on this site for specific places and I am sure we can help you in your looking for places to stay.

Dulverton, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Croatia next summer

Hi there,

My Wife and I did a similar holiday in September this year (2011), and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our 3 week itinery was partially determined by the ferry timetables, as September is considered low season, and the ferries are therefore not as frequent as July/Agust.

Also, you have to consider which airport you are travelling into - you cannot fit it all in as Croatia is a very large country, so I would pick a few places out in a specific area, and stay in and around there, or else you will spend most of your holiday travelling.

We flew into Dubrovnik and started our holiday in Cavtat, which is a largish village relatively close to the airport. It is a lovely place to spend a week or so (see Tripadvisor reviews and photos), and has a very good selection of accomodation and restaurants.

We then moved onto Korcula (4 hour ferry from Dubrovnik) and stayed there for 3 nights. Although very quaint, there wasn't a lot to see or visit outside of Korcula town, so 2/3 nights is probably enough.

Hvar was our next stop for 4 nights, again using the ferry from Korcula (3 hours from memory). Hvar is rather a lively/trendy place with lots of bars and restaurants, but still very beautiful, and you can swim off the rocks.

From Hvar we caught the catermeran to Split and transferred back to Dubrovnik (4 hours) by bus, and then onto the island of Sipan for 4 more nights. There isn't a lot to do on the island, but the Hotel (Bozica) was fantastic, and it was a good base for exploring the other Elafite Islands, with a ferry 4 times a day to Lopud, Kolacep and Dubrovnik. Both Lopud and Kolacep have sandy beaches, which is a rareity in Croatia. We plan to go back again in 2012 to Cavtat and to Kolacep, as we enjoyed these places so much.

So my advice to you would be 1) do your homework on the islands and mainland locations. 2) check out the ferries before you book anything, and as the distances between some locations take several hours, and there may be only one ferry a day, check to make sure that you can reach your new location comfortably in the same day. 3) Not sure what you accomodation preferences are, but we found as a general rule that the Apartments being newly built offer the best value for money, and are generally comfortable, whereas a lot of the hotels were built back in the communist era and are a bit shabby, and have poor reviews. There are exceptions of course, so make sure you check out the reviews first.

Dulverton, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Croatia next summer

Rem72,

One final point - it's often difficult to find one single place that has the ferry timetables, but you could try "avansa-travel.com/en/travel-guide/traveling-…

" as a good starting point.

Also, buses to/from Split and Dubrovnik are frequent and relatively cheap, considering it is a long journey (4-5 hours).

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Croatia next summer

My wife and I spent a week of our honeymoon on the island of Lopud, which is off of Dubrovnik. It sounds like it would be a good fit for you - it's nice and quiet, but with plenty of restaurants. Plenty of secluded places to walk, a really nice beach, and lots of great snorkeling. Also several other beautiful islands nearby for day trips - I highly recommend it.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,668 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Croatia next summer

have you checked out the top things to do in croatia??

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Croatia next summer

Hi REM,

You might care to read my quick reviews of what we’ve seen on our recent trip to Croatia in #6 here tripadvisor.com/…36903378 and #8 (also with the link to photos) here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295371-i1555-k495… Both contain links to few reviews of things to see in Croatia that I wrote.

Hope you find it helpful to trigger your further research.