We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chartering a yacht in Croatia - tips for Australians

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Chartering a yacht in Croatia - tips for Australians

I have been in contact with a number of yacht charter companies in Croatia in order to charter a motorboat for next year. I have been advised on two occasions now that I will not be able to charter a motorboat in Croatia because the Croatian authorities do not recognise Australian licenses. Before I give up the dream of a Croatian holiday, I just wondering whether any Australians have had the same issues, and if there are any viable work-arounds?

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chartering a yacht in Croatia - tips for Australians

Yes, there is a way around it: get a skipper.

Besides, do you really want to navigate the Adriatic on your own for the first time? How familiar are you with these waters? Do you know how many islands, reefs, rocks...we have that can be a threat to you? Do you know what is the situation in places like i.e. Hvar in peak season?

Do yourself a favor and get a skipper or end up like these fellas two days ago (and they are experienced in the Adriatic!): slobodnadalmacija.hr/Crna-kronika/tabid/70/a…

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Adriatic
Hotel Adriatic
317 Reviews
Rovinj, Croatia
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chartering a yacht in Croatia - tips for Australians

Guess this license thing can be serious obstacle.Adriatic waters are far from the walk in the park but whoever comes from land (and water) were many things are topping all most-lethal lists - will be fine anywhere else.

I know it's a long shot but try to contact Lazy Winch.They are expats on alternative propulsion but may share something about bending legislation and consequences.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Adriatic
Hotel Adriatic
317 Reviews
Rovinj, Croatia
Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chartering a yacht in Croatia - tips for Australians

I agree with Morlaque, speaking from my own long-time sailing experience on the Croatian side of the Adriatic. Do yourself a favour and chill out! :):):)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Adriatic
Hotel Adriatic
317 Reviews
Rovinj, Croatia
Perth, West...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chartering a yacht in Croatia - tips for Australians

My experience of sailing the Dalmatian Coast was in July 2009 when we chartered a Lagoon 420 cat from Split to Dubrovnik over 2 weeks.

I booked it through Sail Connections who are an Aust / NZ based charter broker who were very knowledgeable and reputable. They sourced the yacht from Split based Benetaeu / Lagoon agents, Nautica Centar Nava who have a large charter fleet of near new monos, cats and launches.

We could have dealt with them direct.

I simply supplied a Sailing resume and a copy of my WA Recreational Skippers Licence and pointed them to the web site covering the RST. They accepted this without difficulty. The briefing/handover was so casual - about 30 mins and no practical demonstration required. Nothing like the

Whitsundays.

I see absolutely no reason to use a skipper if you are confident in handling the boat. Navigation is very easy; line of sight between islands, deep water, good GPS's, well marked obstacles, plenty of marinas and protected bays to anchor in, some moorings. Buy a cruising guide for the area and you will be right.

We had very little wind in July.

Mentioned in this post
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Sail Croatia
Sail Croatia
59 Reviews
Split, Croatia
Nautica
Nautica
195 Reviews
Brela, Croatia
5. Re: Chartering a yacht in Croatia - tips for Australians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2012, 10:21