We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarajevo, Split and Dubrovnik Itinerary

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
80 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Sarajevo, Split and Dubrovnik Itinerary

Please express your opinion if you believe the following itinerary contains any notable errors of omission or commission. I am using hotel points in Split and Dubrovnik, so the desire to save money superceded optimal hotel locations. Beggars cannot be choosers.

Arrive Sarajevo for two nights there at Bristol hotel. Plan to check out the town. No real day trips planned from Sarajevo.

Drive to Split with stops in Mostar and Pocitelj along the way. Will take our time; no real rush getting to Split.

Five nights in Split (5th night free with Starwood points). Staying at Le Meridien Lav, a little outside of town, but hey, it's free. Days trip planned for Hvar and Brac Islands. Should we do both or is this redundant? Drive to Salona one day. Spend one full day checking out Split. Anything else to recommend?

Drive to Dubrovnik with stops in Ploce and Neum for 4 nights in the Hilton hotel. Organized tours of Montenegro and Korčula - Wine road of Pelješac. One full day checking out Dubrovnik. Skipping the organized tour to Albania.

No time for Istria; too far away. Same with Zagreb.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarajevo, Split and Dubrovnik Itinerary

Good itinerary.

Maybe a sailing day out of Split? Trogir should be on your list and maybe, instead of both islands, to do Krka waterfalls and Šibenik being so close and beautiful. Zadar is about 2 hours away by highway and well worth seeing.

On your way to Dubrovnik, stop in Trsteno to check out the arboretum. One of the many beautiful places in the area. Boat trip to Koločep from Dubrovnik?

Other than that, sounds like a fun trip covering all the must see spots.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
80 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarajevo, Split and Dubrovnik Itinerary

Great reply. Thank you very much. I will make some adjustments based on your feedback.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
80 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarajevo, Split and Dubrovnik Itinerary

Is it possible to visit Salona, Trogir, Sibenik (Krka waterfalls) and Zadar all in one day trip out of Split? I figure four hours total driving time from Split to Zadar and back would allow for 1.5 hours to see each of these stops. That sounds very rushed but possible. Thoughts?

Perhaps one day could be Salona and Trogir and the other day Sibenik and Zadar.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarajevo, Split and Dubrovnik Itinerary

My thought is no. I have visited Krka 3 times and haven't seen everything yet so I wouldn't bother if it was only 1.5 hours there. Also, once off the highway European roads tend to be quite narrow and slow. Split to Zadar on the highway with no stops is less than 2 hours drive but once you start descending to Trogir etc you will add time. I think one day for Salona and Trogir and one for Sibenik, Krka and Zadar is better although this puts far more pressure on your second day. Perhaps do Salona on your Split day as it is so close and then do Trogir and Zadar on the same day and Sibenik and Krka on the other day (as they are so close)?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
80 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarajevo, Split and Dubrovnik Itinerary

Truly great feedback. Preference for Hvar vs. Brac islands? I will almost certainly pick just one and skip the other.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarajevo, Split and Dubrovnik Itinerary

I would do Brac although Hvar is "must see" by many...On Brac, see Dol village, Vidova gora panorama point, Nerezisca, Bol... It is a big island so plan your trip carefully with some leisure or beach time on Zlatni rat beach on Bol. I would also add Blaca Monastery as one of my favorite monuments in the entire country (nice hike to it) but check with Supetar Tourist Board if it is open for this summer as it has been under reconstruction for the past two years.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarajevo, Split and Dubrovnik Itinerary

I am not sure what is your arrival and departure point. That makes notably important for route. If you arrive in Split or Dubrovnik, first, you will have adventage to rent car there and return to the same point later on.

Arrival in sarajevo and departure from some other place does not make good route.

If you can arrange to arrive in Split (or Dubrovnik) you will be able to save some $$$. If you arrive in Sarajevo, plan to departure from Sarajevo also. Rental cars in Bosnia are much cheaper than in Croatia! It might be different right now. But, year and half ago, it was almost in 1/2 price!

So, your arrival will make sense just if your departure is the same place.

Now, tour. I was born there and I know every single $h**hole in both countries in good and bad meaning. I would suggest route:

Split (as base point for about 2-3 days), including Solin, Trogir and I can mention fortress Klis nearby (if you want to see a little bit of military and historic significant sites)

Than you can go through Sinj-Livno(Bosnia) - Suica - Kupres-Bugojno-Donji Vakuf, Jajce (little side trip worth visit). From there - Travnik - and finally Sarajevo. That side trip will take you to some other world you have never seen. It is absolutely mind blowing trip. My wife is american and after visitin those places, she fell in love with Bosnia, thinking even to retire in Jajce at the end of out Earthy living. You can spend night in Jajce (preferably at Pliva lake hotel - yes, it does not have air condition. BUT, it will give to you the most peaceful sleep in your life - air is incredible, sights are from dreams)

Just before arrival in Travnik from Jajce direction, check small town Turbe. You will see all around tags: CHEESE- SIR. Stop there, get yourself pound of that sheep cheese and enjoy it. You never tasted anything like that. It is still undiscovered delicacy for the rest of the World.

Travnik was capitol of Bosnia during Turkish time. Don't forget to visit the oldest coffee bar in Europe and get yourself delicious Bosnian grilled small sausages (cevapcici) with sour cream.

You can read more about that trip here: tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g294453-i1554-k3686…

From Sarajevo go down to Mostar, than Dubrovnik and back to Split. It is circle road trip that you can start at any point and finish at the same place later on and never get in the same place twice.

At the end of review there is link to my Panoramio gallery of the pictures from my trip last year.

Let me know if I can help any more.

I envy your tour.

8. Re: Sarajevo, Split and Dubrovnik Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2013, 10:19