We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Croatia

Karmiel, Israel
Level Contributor
34 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Croatia

My wife and I are planning a trip to Croatia in July. I would appreciate any input on the following questions:

1. My wife likes to travel to one destination for a week and use that as a base. I was thinking of Dubrovnik. I like the seaside location and the islands. Is this a good choice? Any other ideas?

2. What 5 star hotel is most reccomended in Dubrovnik? I want a really nice place. Oh yea, I need a 25 meter pool for morning laps.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Croatia

Dubrovnik is an excellent choice as a base for going around. You could visit also Split and islands around.

For Dubrovnik hotels, look for it on tripadvisor's page. There are plenty of them.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Croatia

Dubrovnik is an excellent choice as a base for going around. You could visit also Split and islands around.

For Dubrovnik hotels, look for it on tripadvisor's page. There are plenty of them.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Croatia

Dubrovnik is excellent location, but if you want to see a bit more of the Coast, you might be a little aside. I don't know how long do you attend to stay there, and do you already have some places in mind to visit?! Please note that Dubrovnik is located at the far south of the Croatian, and if you want to visit e.g. Split, you'll need more than 4 hours to get there (we're talking about summer peak, high season period).

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Croatia

Hi,

We just booked our tour for Southern Italy (Amalfi Coast) and Sicily starting and ending in Rome for July 2012. We would like to spend 3 days in Croatia before joining this tour. In Croatia we would like to see the Plitvice National Park and its waterfalls and spend some time in Dubrovnik.

Question:

1) Since we would like to cover the above two places, should we fly into

Split from London Gatwick?

2) Are there local buses in Split that could take us to these places on day excursions? If so, how many hours' journey to Plitvice and Dubrovnik.

3) How do I get to Rome from either Split or Dubrovnik?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Plitvice Hotel
Plitvice Hotel
591 Reviews
Plitvice Lakes National Park, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
London
London
England, UK
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Croatia

Hi,

We just booked our tour for Southern Italy (Amalfi Coast) and Sicily starting and ending in Rome for July 2012. We would like to spend 3 days in Croatia before joining this tour. In Croatia we would like to see the Plitvice National Park and its waterfalls and spend some time in Dubrovnik.

Question:

1) Since we would like to cover the above two places, should we fly into

Split from London Gatwick?

2) Are there local buses in Split that could take us to these places on day excursions? If so, how many hours' journey to Plitvice and Dubrovnik.

3) How do I get to Rome from either Split or Dubrovnik?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Plitvice Hotel
Plitvice Hotel
591 Reviews
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
London
London
England, UK
Split
Split
Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Croatia

3 days is not enough to cover Plitvice Lakes and Dubrovnik. You will be in rush. I might recommend Split and Plitvice lakes (as daily trip) You might be much better if you have your rental car in that case.

Mentioned in this post
Plitvice Lakes National Park
Plitvice Lakes National...
Central Croatia, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Split
Split
Plitvice Hotel
Plitvice Hotel
591 Reviews
7. Re: Planning a trip to Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:22