We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

Hello,

We are arriving in Istria from Venice on June 18th for 3-4 nights. Unsure what town to stay in. Any sugguestions on what to to stay in and why?

Thanks for the input

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

What are your hobbies and interests? Do you want to stay on the coast or inland? Are you going to hire a car? Are you returning to Venice or travelling elsewhere?

For accommodation, do you want to stay in hotels, private accommodation, self catering, agrotourism, camping etc?

Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

We would like to stay on the coast, traveling by bus south to see the rest of the country. We would love to see some ancient architecture. In terms of where to stay, doesn't really matter, not wanting to spend mOre then $70US per night

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

In the Istia region the main airport is Pula which is Istria’s biggest city known for its Roman monuments and amphitheatre. Rovinj is one of the main resorts and has some beautiful scenery with red-roofed houses surrounded by sea on three sides. Porec is a lovely Roman town as well. Both Rovinj and Porec can be busy in the summer months. Inland Istria is much quieter with oak woods, vineyards and hilltop towns.

http://www.rovinj.info/

http://www.to-porec.com/

http://www.istra.hr/en

Rabac is one of the best resorts for families with a nice beach.

croatia-beaches.com/best/rabac_maslinica_bea…

Also recommend a visit to the Brijuni islands by boat. Stunning scenery :-

www.find-croatia.com/islands-croatia/brijuni/

There are plenty of day trips available from Istria. Have a look at the following link which will give you a example of the types of day trips available :-

www.kompas-travel.com/excursiondetalji.asp…

Happy planning!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

Rovinj has to be the number one choice of town to stay in. Porec is nice but too many tour buses and tourists!

You can visit most places by bus or organised excursion from Rovinj.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
161 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

I would also suggest Rovinj. Very pretty and relaxed. Good choice of restaurants. We had a very chilled time there.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

Rovinj is where I'd stay if I returned.....day trip to Pula!

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

Another vote for Rovinj. I stayed there last summer and loved it. I found rooms in a small pension (Pension Rovinj Villa Squero) for about $70/night. It was not super-deluxe, but it was right on the waterfront, and the owners were wonderful.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

No contest it has to be Rovinj.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

I don't understand fascination with Rovinj. There are so great places in Istria that I would put Rovinj somewhere at the bottom of the list.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3-4 nights in Istria in June. Where to stay?

The poster wants to stay on the coast and see ancient architecture. Running through all the main resorts on the coast, Umag, Novigrad, Vrsar, Porec, Pula and Rabac, I can't see how they are nicer or better connected than Rovinj.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 07:56