We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate someone's advice and I am having difficulty working out how to travel around and what to fit into the schedule. My sister and I fly into Dubrovnik and out of Split 11 days later. She is coming from Australia, and this is her first holiday away from her small children, so I want to plan an amazing trip for her! We love nice walks, coastline, cycling (not too hilly!), culture and wine...

We THINK we would like to fit in the following but open to suggestions:

2 days Dubrovnik

1 day kayak tour to Lopud,Sipan & Ruda

Mljet

Korcula

Hvar

Plitvice Lakes

to be near Split airport for the day before we fly out the day afterwards

I have a feeling I need to cut something out to fit everything in without being tired out. What is your advice?

How can we travel from Mljet to Korcula to Hvar in low season? I think the ferries are not running so it might mean going back via Dubrovnik... can anyone advise?

How do we travel around each of the islands and how much time is really needed? Is car hire best so that we can see everything?

Thank you!!!

Sarah

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
339 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

You say you are travelling in the low season but which month? Whether it's low or high season affects the ferry timetables.

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

We fly in mon 7 May and out fri 18 may. thank you!

Durham
Level Contributor
4,824 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

I would leave out Mljet and Plitvice. Mljet will be very quiet at that time of year and you could not get easily from Mljet to Korcula. Plitvice is a long way further north. You could get between the other places using public transport although Korcula to Hvar needs an early start to get the 6am catamaran.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
339 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

If you are flying out of Split airport then you'd be better off staying in Trogir before your flight as it only takes 15 minutes or so by taxi from Trogir or you can get a bus from Trogir, No 37 passes the airport. If you stayed there then a day trip to Krka National Park would be a more manageable trip. As you're travelling the early part of May the ferries in some areas are not as frequent as they will be later in the season.

Have a look at the ferry timetable ; http://www.jadrolinija.hr/

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

Thanks for your feedback.

We are keen to do walks in lovely landscape, so Plitvice and Mljet were top on my list! Would Krka National Park be more convenient but equally as lovely? Do you do this by car?

How would we be best to get around the islands whilst we are there to make the most of them? Would we be best to hire a car in advance from each place, or hire a car in Dubrovnik, drive to Korcula then get a car ferry to Hvar, a car ferry to Split and then drop off the car in Trogir?

Thank you!!

Durham
Level Contributor
4,824 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

Although the Mljet national park is undoubtedly attractive it is relatively flat and does not offer really spectacular views. Providing you do not mind hills Brac, Korcula, Hvar and Vis would be better for walking in my opinion. You would also find very good walking in the National Parks closer to Split/Trogir like Krka and Bisevo without needing to go as far as Plitvice. Most of the time you would not need a hire car.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
339 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

We had a 9 night holiday last year which started in Dubrovnik. When we got to Split airport we hired a car for just 3 nights, first time we've hired a car in Croatia. We stayed 2 nights at Agrotourism Kalpic which is only about 5 miles from the main entrance to Krka NP. (I've done a review of the accommodation). We found it quite easy to drive to the park. The roads are well sign posted. From the main entrance you can walk down to the park it's about 1Km, all down hill! We did get the bus on the way back up! There are walking trails around the park with leaflets available. We have found the transport on the ferries and buses to be excellent, mostly running to time and economical in comparison to the UK.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

Krka has a lot of walking and should be very full of water in early May - very exciting.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

I think you should consider not booking every day in advance, as in May there is no need. You can book a room on the spot. Considering the weather may or may not be ideal (no telling in early spring), that would give you flexibility. I would book only the first 2-3 nights in Dubrovnik.

Korcula is easily reached by a daily bus--I actually prefer that over the long and not-daily ferry. You will need to check the ferry schedule to get from Korcula to Hvar, as that is not daily.

I have not been to Krka, but I do not know how it could trump Plitvice (I realize they are similar). If you have at least 2 days in Split/Trogir at the end, then you could visit either Krka or Plitvice as a day trip.

I advise just renting a car for a day while you are on an island.

You can do plenty of exceptional walking on all of the islands. I particularly enjoyed walking along the coast on Hvar. Also, just across from Korcula on the mainland there is a mountain you can walk up.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
339 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 days Dubrovnik to Split - help!

The Krilo ferry operates on a daily basis from Korcula to Hvar.

Web site: http://www.krilo.hr/en/sailing_schedule.html