We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maximizing Time - What Island to Visit

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
181 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Maximizing Time - What Island to Visit

Hello - We will be visiting Croatia soon.. We will be basing ourselves in south Slovenia and taking two daytrips into Croatia. One will be to Plitvice & the other elsewhere. This is where I need some help because we are interested in Cres, or possibly Krk, though I have not been able to locate much information. Worth visiting? Easy to do in a day? I have sent emails to the main websites, ferry agencies, with no luck. Realize they might be seasonal? We would have a car and looking to spend the day exploring the area, having a nice meal, seeing the beautiful landscapes. Any recs on where to go or where to find more information? Thanks so much!

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maximizing Time - What Island to Visit

They are both worth visiting.

Krk is easier to reach, while it's connected by bridge.

I personally like Cres and Mali Lošinj (these two islands are also connected with a small bridge) more.

Here is the ferry schedule (you should look for the ferry that departs from Brestova in Istria and arrives to Porozina on Cres):

www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?dpid=1304

It's a short ride, about 20 min.

Have a nice time!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,223 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maximizing Time - What Island to Visit

Would be much easier to get to Krk Island with the bridge so you don't have to worry about hopping on a ferry.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maximizing Time - What Island to Visit

You can spend much more time at those islands. I lived there. So, I know every corner of it. Just drive from Porozina to Veli Losinj is worth visit. Not to mention Cres specialty - lamb. All kinds of fish and sea food is available.

If you need recommendations for the restaurants: Belona in Cres, Eki and Janja in Artatore, near Mali Losinj, Bukaleta in Mali Losinj, Fortuna in Veli Losinj, as well as Hotel restaurants Vespera, few restaurants in the part of Cikat in Losinj (Kredo, villa Carolina, Helios)

The best espresso in Astoria in Cres (say hello from me), Ice cream everywhere. Specialty is old fashioned ice cream on the main square/harbor in Cres (closed for traffic, you have to walk to it), Good ice cream in Osor beside road, also in Mali Losinj (entire right side of harbor is nothing but restaurants and sweet shops with incredible ice-cream and good espresso...

Visit Cres old city, Lubenice, Osor Cathedral (ask for old one, too), museum in Osor and walls, see dolphins , visit Cikat bay in Mali Losinj, visit church in Veli Losinj (some estimate about 4-500 people are buried under the church floor!)

Lot of hidden gems at that island(s)...

Edited: 20 April 2012, 06:08
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
181 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maximizing Time - What Island to Visit

Thank you all for your input. We are going to try and get a ferry to Cres. Tvrtko1995 - I really appreciate your restaurant suggestions. SO excited to try the ice cream now :)

How's parking in the main areas? Easy to find pay lot or place to park car?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maximizing Time - What Island to Visit

Parkings are either marked visible or you just leave car wherever the other people do.

If you are ice-cream person, you might not miss Cres. Down on main harbor, just behind monument of Frano Petric is unique one. Be early, because after dinner, it's line all a way to the other side of the town....

6. Re: Maximizing Time - What Island to Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:17