We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

London, England...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

i've got two questions:

How do I get from

1. Venice to Zagreb?

The original plan was to get from venice to plitvice lakes, but since there's no direct route, we're planning to take the train from venice to zagreb, then zagreb to plitvice lakes by bus. However, I've checked trainitalia and I can't seem to search for venice - zagreb - the town zagreb does not show up at all! If there are any, are there overnight trains?

2. Plivice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

I've also looked for Plitvice Lakes to Dubrobnovik and found the best ways are to take a bus from Plitvice to Split/Zadar, then from there to Dubrovnovik. However I can't find the bus schedules or where we can buy tickets?

Thanks. We're planning to travel sometime in 1st-2nd week of July.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 19:54
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

Have you thought of car hire? We sort of did some of this trip last year via auto/ferry. There is a high speed ferry from Venice to Rovinj. can drive to Plivice, down to Split, ferry to Korkula then Dbv or drive from Split to Dvb. We did it in the opposite direction. Dbv.c to Korkula, then to Split, then to the lakes. Next day in Rovinj to Venice. We did not make it to Zagreb. All in all, it was a pretty easy drive and very beautiful.

London, England...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

thanks! though i was looking if its possible to rent a car straight from venice to athens (our stop after dubrovnik) - (since the most troublesome journey for us seems to be across croatia...?) but i cant find any car rental service offering that. even from rovinj to athens, or to dubrovnik on a weekend seems quite hard to find!

we're kinda on a budget, as well as being in a bit of a rush but im still trying to weigh options, an overnight train on the 11th july, reaching at 8.40am at zagreb seems to be the best option as of now, but i can't seem to find the train station (zagreb) at trenitalia!

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

I can help you with the car rental question but to be clear how many days to travel do you have between Venice and Dubrovnik if you were to do the journey by car?

London, England...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

well we'd like to leave venice on the 11th july, have stopovers at a few places including plitvice lakes and arrive dubrovnik on the 14th or 15th. i know it seems like a rush but it does seem possible!

Edit: sorry we might be leaving on the 12th early morning, but that would mean taking the car the day before since most car rentals dont open till late morning, i assume

Edited: 24 May 2012, 16:44
London, England...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

Or perhaps a car from Zagreb to Dubrovnik, since we won't need to pass through slovenia (i just read about the tolls and vignettes (?) regarding slovenian tolls

Sorry i spelt dubrovnik wrong earlier!

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

you need to avoid car rental where you leave it in a diiferent county - costs a lot if you do and lots won't agree to it at all.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

Judec is right but thats the niche we are trying to help people with as I wrote in other posts Venice is becoming more and more popular as adrop off or pick up point for cars due to many North Americans, Brits, Australians, etc..going on one week Mediteranian cruises and staying in Europe a second week. Thats one example and faizp has another.. The big multinational rent a car companies cut throat each other on the rental price then try and grab it back on exorbitant drop off fees and the client is a hostage as basicaly has no choice in the matter. One last question before I get into specifics about price how many people are traveling in your group faizp..this will reflect onthe size of car you need!!

Edited: 24 May 2012, 17:20
London, England...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

well it seems likely that we might get an overnight train from venice to zagreb - trenitalia just called me back and said the reason why it might not appear on the website just yet is that they're rescheduling the train times, and it'll only come back most likely the 1st of June, so i'll be waiting for that.

so it seems we might get a car from zagreb through to dubrovnik from the 12th to the 15th (or 14th, depending on how fast we are). there might be 5 (so thats 5-seater car) or 7 (two 4-seaters?) of us so could i just get a quotation for both? this route would seem to be the best since we wont be getting and returning the car outside of croatia!

9. Re: Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 00:05
Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
916 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice to Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnovik?

PeterC is constantly using TA to advertise his business. He knows that advertising is strictly forbidden on TA but he chooses to ignore the rules.