We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

Hello trusted TA friends!

I've got a slight itinerary mini-crisis.

We're arriving at Zagreb airport around 15:30 on a Tuesday, taking the shuttle to terminal Zagreb and then jumping on a bus to Plitvice. Or so we thought.

According to the main station website, the last bus from Zagreb leaves at 15:00!

http://www.akz.hr/default.aspx?id=261#dat21

- Is this correct?

- Any alternatives to getting to Plitvice the same day (bus is preferred)?

It's not a disaster for our itinerary, but leaving early the next morning will tire us out a bit before our day at the national park.

Plitvice Lakes...
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

That is corect, later is no buses which one pass Plitvice. Stay one night in Zagreb and explore it or take private transport to lakes ( you can try with this guy cviktours@gmail.com)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

Get some espresso and ice-cream in Zagreb.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

Yes thats the bus schedule but obviously by getting to Plitvice late in the day you were planing to stay the night there right? So as suggested above stay in Zagreb rest up you have the rest of the afternoon and evening and go to Plitvice the next morning!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

Thank you for confirming this.

This is certainly very unfortunate as we had a real nice plan. It's my fault for not checking the buses obviously.

Original itinerary:

We were to land at 15:00 and bus to our Plitvice B&B. Rest up, and start the park really early before the tourists. Spend the day, and then take the bus on to Split later in the day.

Now:

if we stay in Zagreb overnight. The 7:30 bus gets us there at 10:00, and the last bus to leave (if it's not full..) is 15:45. Though we're afraid to wait and hope that last bus stops because if we're not in Split that evening we're in real trouble. This means we'll have to catch either the 13:23 or 13:50, and this only gives us a few hours at the park. Suddenly this is not worth all the bus travel!!

(yes, we are now strongly considering renting a car, though for personal reasons bus is preferred)

A have a few additional questions if you don't mind.

- Is there a way to reserve seats on either the bus that leaves Zagreb, but especially seats on that LAST bus where we would only board from Plitvice?

- Looking at the bus schedule, from Plitvice to Split, the schedule is 13:50 - 20:00. That's over 6 hours... is that correct? I'm sure I read multiple times it's only approximately 3.5 - 4 hours for that bus journey, which is why I thought this trip to Plitvice was worth it.

If it turns out we're on a bus in July for 8 hours, to spend just 3-4 hours at Plitvice, this simply isn't worth the time. What a shame that would be, I dream of seeing this place.

Thank you so much for your help folks

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

Just rent a car for a day...or two...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

yeah, that's what we've come to. The alternatives were too complicated.

thanks

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

Yes again the times of travel you read or hear about are by car usualy, bus drivers have rest breaks, they usualy take secondary roads, reserving seats is not possible, and just for the sake of time the car is much more flexible.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

If you land at 3PM, you still have time to rent a car and be that night in Plitvice.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

You would be able to rent a car at Zagreb airport and drop it at Split airport and get the airport bus in OR Split downtown (fewer companies downtown so check first).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is last bus service Zagreb-Plitvice at 15:00? ..solution...?

thanks for that tip, we're actually struggling a bit with the car rental for that reason. We booked a car through auto europe on monday, to drop-off in downtown Split, costing about £110 for an inexpensive automatic (shamefully I'm not well trained in manual yet, which is part of the problem). They've come back twice with additional charges (3-day minimum, different drop-off location charge, out of hours drop-off charge). The price has ballooned just over 250%.

With the car, gas, B&B, and entry, £300+ is hard to swallow for one day in the park. Damn you bus schedule!

I guess our next move is to try booking with Split airport as the drop-off point. Hopefully greater supply equals lower price. Finger's crossed.

We're not giving up on this just yet...