We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls help on this Croatia itinery

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Pls help on this Croatia itinery

Hi I m planning a 9 days trip in crotia. Will be flying in to Split n flying out from zagreb . I m interested in visiting the below places.

Did I miss any other interesting spots?

How many days u would suggest me to stay in each location?

Where area do I need to rent a car to get around?

-dalmatia (Dubrovnik, trogir, korcula), 4 days?

-istria (rovinj, plitvice lake), 3 days?

-Zagreb 2 days?

thanks

Bala Cynwyd
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pls help on this Croatia itinery

Too many places for nine days.

Are your flights already booked?

We spent three weeks, flying into Dubrovnik and out of Split.

Dubrovnik is too far away for your flight plan.

You need at least three nights in Split, with a day trip to Trogir.

A day trip to Plitvice needs another night in Split.

You may want to rent a car for that. Otherwise, no car is necessary since buses, boat and taxis are easier and cheaper. Most towns are car free for the interesting parts and parking is difficult..

Korcula needs two nights.

That leaves three nights in Cavtat to visit Dubrovnik.

Transportation is possible by ferry from Split to Korcula and by bus from Korcula to Dubrovnik.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
216 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pls help on this Croatia itinery

I agree with Tyere about the too many places part... Also if not booked yet, a change of in-and-out airports might help... In any case (assuming you have to stick with your flights, I'd suggest a slightly different itinerary approach...

I would say one day Split is enough. Spend a little time in Trogir. Then make your way down the coast to Dubrovnik (which is Split-Dubrovnik a 4 hour drive, if you stop and sightsee and lunch it takes a day). Spend two days in Dubrovnik (it should be enough). On the way down you could include stop-over(s) on Korcula and/or Pljesac. From Dubrovnik to Mostar (just sightsee, I don't think you have to stay there. Then either go on to Zadar (really nice). From there to Plitvice. If you are the adventurous type you could instead go through Bosnia to Plitvice via Jajce and Bihac (you still should arrive in Plitvice in the evening - in any case check your rental that you have the neccessary papers for crossing into Bosnia; already needed to go down to Dubrovnik as you pass through the Neum corridor). Then go on to Zagreb, for which a day is okay. So that would mean:

1 day Split

1 day drive to Dubrovnik

2 days Dubrovnik

1 day via Mostar

1 day Plitvice

1 day Zagreb

Leaves you with 2 days... to spend as you like a long the way. Don't plan on Istra. It is really nice, but too far away and doesn't connect at all with the rest of your trip. Just enjoy the south plus Zagreb and anyways you'll be back an then take in Istra in new trip.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pls help on this Croatia itinery

Thank you tyere n indichur for your info, it is very helpful.

Where is Mostar? I can't find it on the map? What can I see in Mostar?

If we want to spend a nite somewhere near plitvice lake, where should we stay?

Thanks a lot

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pls help on this Croatia itinery

Mostar is in Bosnia.

You can spend night in Plitvice. There is hotel and many other options...

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pls help on this Croatia itinery

Between hvar n korcular, which is a more beautiful island in late september?

Cape Town
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pls help on this Croatia itinery

Hi

Was reading your recommendation for a 9 day trip. Do you think it would be worth our while to tour for 2 weeks or is that too long? Regards Doris

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,078 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pls help on this Croatia itinery

No, two weeks isn't too long, you could easily fill more than that! we spent 16 days in Croatia last year (flying in and out of Zagreb) and only got as far south as Split (but we did spend a week In Istria).

istria is very beautiful and well worth seeing but you can't do Dubrovnik and Istria in that time (we left it Dubrovnik out because we were really keen to explore istria.

Zadar and Sibenik are well worth seeing and easier to combine with Split and Plitvice (Plitvice is a MUST to my mind)

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pls help on this Croatia itinery

Doris, two weeks is not too long by any stretch! My husband and I fell in love with Croatia and bought a house in Istria. So, we spend each May and October there and we still have not seen every single nook and cranny in Istria! And that is just one of the many regions. There is SO much to do that time goes so quickly.

I agree that the OP has far too ambitious and hectic an itinerary for only nine days. But nine days is better than no days! :-) I like the idea of doing the south part of the country as already mentioned. That seems to fit what you are looking for.

Cape Town
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Pls help on this Croatia itinery

Thanks for your advice. I'm far away from everything down her in Cape Town so am reliant on the internet for info. Just to get to most places in Europe takes us around 14-16 odd hours travel so not many of our friends explore the less common destinations.

Maybe we should try to travel for 20 days which isn't always easy when trying to get 4 working adults together at one time:-) I'll pour over my maps and take all your comments into account......thanks again

10. Re: Pls help on this Croatia itinery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 02:15