We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ploce-Trpanj ferry/miss Bosnia border crossing?

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ploce-Trpanj ferry/miss Bosnia border crossing?

HI,

We are driving Croatia. My "google map" has us taking a ferry at Ploce over to Trpanj and then driving down D415.

Is the reason for taking the ferry so as not to have to go thru the border of Bosnia and then back into Croatia. Is the border crossing a difficult thing? Or is it just that the driving gets difficult from there back into Croatia. Or does going this way make the trip much longer?

We are driving to Dubrovnik from Trogir. It is a long drive over 5 hours. I was wondering if maybe it would be shorter taking the ferry than crossing the border into Bosnia and back into Croatia.

I am not quite sure what to do.

Thank you very much. I appreciate any info you can give me.

Lynda

Durham
Level Contributor
4,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ploce-Trpanj ferry/miss Bosnia border crossing?

Driving across the Neum corridor is quicker than taking the ferry.

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ploce-Trpanj ferry/miss Bosnia border crossing?

Thank you very much. You just solved my problem.

Lynda

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ploce-Trpanj ferry/miss Bosnia border crossing?

Go through "Bosnia".

2 years ago we stopped in Neum to eat something and my wife started to talk to the owner..."How you feel surrounded with Croatia?"... Than guy said: This is not Bosnia. Everyone here is Croat. As about us, this is Croatia!".

However, returning from Dubrovnik in evening, I got really great picture of sunset. I call it: "Sunset at Bosnian riviera"...

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ploce-Trpanj ferry/miss Bosnia border crossing?

Do you by any chance remember the # of the highway you took. Was it 65. I have a real old map, 2007 and it is hard to understand..

I don't have enough time to buy one and have it shipped to me.

We are going from Split to Dubrovnik and do not want to take the Ferry.

Thanks

Lynda

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ploce-Trpanj ferry/miss Bosnia border crossing?

I think the google map puts you on that ferry to 'stay' in Croatia and not cross that border but that border crossing won't be a problem. You might be stopped to show passports but more than likely you will be waved through by both sides.

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ploce-Trpanj ferry/miss Bosnia border crossing?

Do you know the # of the highway you take thru Bosnia to Dubrovnik by any chance.

Thanks for the info. It is good to know! don't want to take the ferry at all.

Lynda

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ploce-Trpanj ferry/miss Bosnia border crossing?

I think its called the D8 in Croatia, but don't know if it changes names in BiH.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
36,881 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ploce-Trpanj ferry/miss Bosnia border crossing?

You shouldn't worry about getting lost because its the only road that will take you along the coast to Dubrovnik.

9. Re: Ploce-Trpanj ferry/miss Bosnia border crossing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 17:16