We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Michigan
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary

Hi - My husband and I have nine nights for our vacation in May. We went to Croatia last year and LOVED Dubrovnik and Korcula. We are now wanting to see other parts of Croatia and have heard great things about the Rovinj area. We are in our 40s and love cute towns where we can walk around all day taking pictures, eating, drinking (beer), and enjoying the locals and the beauty of the country.

Please provide me feedback on this potential itinerary:

Fly from Detriot to Venice (we love Venice and the flights seem much less expensive than flying into Croatia).

2 nights in Venice and then take ferry to Rovinj.

3 nights in Rovinj.

3 nights in Pula or Zadar....?

Ferry from Pula or Zadar back to Venice.

1 night in Venice and then fly out the next morning.

Questions-

We would like to visit Plitvice Lakes Park, does it make more sense to make the day trip from one place verse the other?

Preference between Pula or Zadar? Which place has more to do and see?

Are we staying too many nights in two locations, and we'd be better off adding another location?

Are we hitting the fun spots in northern Croatia? Are we missing "must see" spots?

It appears that the ferry schedule only shows two months, is there a way to know which days the ferries to/from Venice will run in May?

Any input, suggestions, tips would be appreciated!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,481 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary

Zadar is quite a long way from Istria so don't know if thats feasible. I would visit the hill towns in Istria and maybe even venture into Slovenia for a day to visit a place such as Postojna. So just stay in Istria and forget about Zadar and save that for next time!

2. Re: Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 17:07
Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary

I would advise different approach.

Rent a car in Venice and drive all around.

1 day drive to Zagreb and enjoy evening in Zagreb as well as morning fun.

2 day: Around noon hit the road to Plitvice and stay overnight

3 day - around noon, drive to Zadar and stay overnight somewhere close by.

4 day - drive from Zadar to Istria. It's not very long drive. You can stop along the way and enjoy food scenery, small towns and fishermen villages.

You can stay in Opatija, Pula, Rovinj, Vodnjan, Umag, Porec....wherever you like and rest of the time drive around Istria and enjoy...

You will cover a lot of area and still have enough time to enjoy and rest.

Here is what we did: tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g294453-i1554-k3686…

Edited: 09 September 2012, 23:54
Michigan
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. I will definitely use your advice as we adjust our schedule and firm up our plans.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,320 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary

We always fly from Canada to Frankfurt then to Venice and rent a car in Venice to go to Croatia or take the ferry across (but almost always a car).

You already have great advice so I will not belabour the suggested routes (which are great). Like Kevin, I would suggest basing in Rovinj (which is so lovely in May as there are far less tourists) and driving everywhere. If you want a second base (i.e. three nights in Rovinj and three elsewhere I would recommend staying in a stone house or villa somewhere in the countryside for a completely different flavour).

My favourite villages are Groznjan, Hum, Zavrsje, Gracisce, Draguc, Roc, Bale. Buzet old town is cute, too. Motovun is also good with splendid views but somehow not in my favourites category. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever - it is lovely - it often teems with tourists, even in May. The views from Motovun are amazing.

When you get in your rental car, just drive and spontaneously stop at the villages that appeal to you (there are tons!). Try local olive oils, cheeses, prsut, honey, strawberries, etc. - not the ones by the roadside but those at the producers' farms. There are lots of festivals and events in Istria in May as well. If interested let me know. You can also check out this website:

istra.hr/en/attractions-and-activities/events

We spend every May and October in Istria and loved it so much on our first trip that we bought a house there! It is such a wondrous place.

You will likely be able to swim (we always do). Oh, yes. You should see Dvigrad, which are the ruins of an ancient city. It is located in solid forest and so pretty. It is free and always open and so worth poking around for a couple of hours. There are a few castle ruins, too. I highly recommend stopping at any Tourist Information office you can to ask for detailed maps. Another Istrian thing to see is kazun or stone huts. They were built for shepherds to sleep in and now are used for storage, etc. There are tons of them around the Zminj area. They are cute and fun to look for.

You must spend time in Porec to see the Euphrasian Basilica. Porec is our "home town" there and a nice place to walk around. It is not "cute" like villages but it is right on the sea. Vrsar is located close to Porec and is a sweet little fishing village.

If you are a foodie just say because my husband and I are HUGE into food and have a lot of great suggestions on where to eat and what to try.

6. Re: Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 10:17