We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 8/30-9/16

Whidbey Is., WA
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report 8/30-9/16

What a wonderful trip to Venice & Croatia we had; thank you all for the invaluable info shared oon TA. We started in Venice for 2 days, staying at a b&b overlooking a small canal where we could hear the gondoliers singing as they passed by. I can understand the thin line between having a magical time and not liking it so. I found it fascinating but could not find good food. Took the ferry to Rovinj during a cyclone and got in 3 hrs late. It's worth to pay the little extra for better seats in the lounge area. Loved Istria! And needed an extra couple of days but as it was not truffle hunting season as yet and my hubby couldn't find a fishing trip, he wanted to get going to Plitvice. Had a hassle picking up the rental car from Pula which took up most of the day. Loved Rovinj, although we stayed 3 nights in an apt. which was right above a noisy bar. Ate exceptional food; the best grilled sea bass at Santa Croce, and an amazing truffle meal at Zigante in Livante. There are so many fabulous restaurants, it's difficult to choose. Loved Grozjan; would skip Motovan to perhaps visit some of the other smaller towns we missed on this trip. At Plitvice Lakes, we enjoyed staying at the 3rd unofficial entrance and beat the crowds. Beautiful area.

We headed down the coast, stopping at Biograd & Sibenik but did not wish to linger...until we got to Trogir. Loved it. Great base to visit Split and perhaps take the catamaran to one of the island. We had our car, however, so took the car ferry from the peninsula to Korcula, staying in Lumbarda. Tony at Apartman Val is a chef and creates amazing meals right on your own terrace, and has a dock for swimming and lounging. Mljet, although pristine, didn't have much to offer. We stayed in Polce at Apt. Antonio, great view, clean & inexpensive. The last 3 days were left for Dubrovnik, which at first seemed a disappointment after the quaint Instria towns, over run by tourists & pizza joints. I had booked an apt. online in Gruz 2 days prior to arrival, and found the neighborhood bleak, not wanting to spend our last days of vacation there. The owner would not consider even a partial refund, even though many apts. were available and I doubt she would have rented hers again so quickly. We ended up at Apt. Rugez in Ploce, with an amazing view, and switchback access to Old Town which was great. The city wall walk is not to be missed. It was great staying in apts. so we make meals, if desired. What I loved the most about Croatia are the people, being some of the nicest I have ever met, the color of the water, loud thunderstorms, vineyards & wine, and so much more. Lovely country.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 8/30-9/16

Thank you for taking the time! Your enthusiasm is contageous.......we shall be following in your footsteps by mid-Sept 2013 after Paris,Hamburg, 2 weeks in Slovenia and then 2+ weeks in Croatia.

BTW....while visiting daughter in Seattle in August , we spent 3 nights on Whidbey and truly loved it. The Anchorage Inn in Coupeville is the perfect place to stay!

Cheers.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,221 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 8/30-9/16

Great trip report!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 8/30-9/16

Thanks for taking your time to tell us about your trip.

I hope hubby found Croatia interesting without (usual???) rush?

Whidbey Is., WA
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 8/30-9/16

Tvrtko, hubby was on your side about Venice, and is now longing to go to Oregon for truffle hunting and Alaska for fishing. Looks like Prague & Budapest will have to wait. Morewierd, your trip sounds fabulous, I heard travelers praising Slovenia. We love Whidbey and are awaiting our winter rain.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 8/30-9/16

What an awesome report. So glad you loved Croatia! So do we, of course. :-) Istria really is a gem, isn't it? I agree with you about Motovun. I really like it but there are so many other hilltop villages I love. Groznjan is one of my favourites, too. What are some of the truffle dishes you had at Zigante?

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 8/30-9/16

Excellent report. So glad you enjoyed Croatia and yes Istria is a gem. You will have to return for a longer visit. Your ferry trip from Venice to Rovinj struck a chord with me. Many years ago we sailed from Pula to Venice on a converted fishing boat and were caught in a similar experience. The waves were so high and the boat was heaving. Practically all the passengers were sick and the boad was awash with vomit - not a nice experience! After about an hour of this the Captain turned round and headed back to Pula. Fortunately husband and I and a group of Russian weightlifters were about the only people on board that weren't sick - the Russians were very cross at heading back!

Whidbey Is., WA
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 8/30-9/16

Chef, the simple, just-made tagliatelle with truffles was about the best thing I've ever had. Hubby had a filet mignon. Wine was delicious. I so wanted to eat at Puntalina but ran out of time. Also wanted to taste your recommended black ink risotto, and enjoy the views from the terraced restaurant in Hum...ah, the regrets.

Whidbey Is., WA
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 8/30-9/16

Good story! Paper bags were spread all around on our vessel as well, and I'm sure the people on the lower deck did not fare as well. At first a plastic bag got caught in a turbine and we headed back to Venice; when all that was finally over, the cyclone made things really interesting, but sounds like not quite as interesting as your trip.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 8/30-9/16

Regrets, BUT just think you can return some day and try the things that you missed.

Your boat trip sounds a bit too eventful. That would make me fairly nauseous I would think. You must have been SO relieved to step on dry land!

10. Re: Trip Report 8/30-9/16

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2013, 10:17