We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Day Itinerary - Please Help!

London, England...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
5 Day Itinerary - Please Help!

My husband and I will be visiting Croatia for the first time next May, and only have 5 full days there. Please let me know if this itinerary is doable?!

Day 1: Fly into Split early morning - rent car, spend day at Plitvice Lakes, in the evening, drive back to Split

Day 2: Get 11AM ferry from Split - Vis, Overnight Vis

Day 3: All day in Vis, overnight Vis

Day 4: Get 7AM catamaran back to Split, get bus to Dubrovnik, Overnight Dubrovnik

Day 5: Spend whole day exploring Dubrovnik, 9:30PM flight back to London

We were torn between leaving out Plitvice, and just spending time on Vis and Korcula, but thought it would be good to get a mix of things to do. We were also split as to whether to go to Vis or Korcula, alongside Plitvice, any thoughts on which of the two islands is more scenic, or fits better into this itinerary?

And finally, does this trip look manageable?!

Thanks!!!

Durham
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Day Itinerary - Please Help!

Personally I would not rush to and from Plitvice. Krka National Park is closer and you could combine it with Zadar or Trogir. Korcula and Vis are similarly scenic. On Vis I would stay at Komiza rather than Vis Town unless fine dining is important to you.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Day Itinerary - Please Help!

Hi Danielle, We were just in Croatia last year. Good choice-beautiful place. Everybody is different so you should see many varied responses. So here is my opinion. Your drive to Plitvice is about 2.5 hours as I recall. We spent half a day in the park which seemed to cover it all, then you have your drive back. I would re-consider an alternative plan closer to the coast as Plitvice is interesting but not the end all. Don't know anything about Vis only wish we would have stayed there due to it's charm. Korcula is nice but very small-a small Dubrovnik. Be advised about the cruise ships and bodies they carry. We were there overnight on way to Plitvice and had it all to ourselves in the late afternoon and eve. Had the best steak I have ever eaten there. I would consider a car rental to drive from Split to Dubrov. Great places to stop (Ston, etc) and enjoy. Whole day is Dubro. is good. Take the gondola up the mountain for some great photos--Have fun

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Day Itinerary - Please Help!

Vis is an excellent choice! Not so many tourists, nature still intact and beautiful beaches! Try to hire a car there and visit all those hidden beaches like Stiniva (the path is very steep, wear good shoes, or go there by boat), Stončica, Srebrna... Don't miss a trip to Blue Cave on the Biševo island. And I would stay in the town of Komiža, I like it more than Vis town, although both are worth visiting.

I suppose that you plan to come to Croatia in summer. You need to know that there'll be many tourists in Plitvice. Besides, it's more than 3 hours drive from Split, and you have to walk the whole day long... I would just spend the whole day in Split instead, and leave Plitvice for spring or summer. Don't get me wrong, I adore Plitvice Lakes, but spending there just for a few hours in the crowd wouldn't give you the whole picture how beautiful and peaceful they are.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Day Itinerary - Please Help!

I think you are doing too much. It is different for people coming long distance to Croatia from America or Australia; from London there are flights to Croatia all year and many of them are very cheap. Why not have 5 days in one area and then have 5 days later in the year in another area? Why not fly into Zagreb as Plitvice is closer and then make your way down to Split - perhaps taking in Vis and fly out of Split? Leave Dubrovnik and Korcula for the next visit.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,078 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Day Itinerary - Please Help!

I agree with Jude, take it more slowly! we were in Croatia for over 2 weeks last year and didn't include Dubrovnik even so. A reason to go back some time!

In fact we did fly to Zagreb, drove to Plitvice then on to Zadar area; followed by Split and then Istria which we spent most time in (and that's why we left out Dubrovnik)

Plitvice is lovely, very special, and even on a Sunday in early August wasn't what I'd call crowded (I live in Barcelona, I know what I call crowded!). In your case as you say you are coming in May that wouldn't be an issue.

viamichelin.com is great for getting driving times to work out alternative routes

6. Re: 5 Day Itinerary - Please Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:19