We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinery recommendations for Croatia

chicago, il
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Itinery recommendations for Croatia

My husband and I are planning a 2+ week trip to Croatia and would like to know which of the following towns we really must include in our trip (or any others you might suggest). We enjoy quaint towns, historic towns, Roman ruins, and beautiful scenery. We are considering:

Dubrovnik (a definite), Split, Korcula (over Hvar), Plitivice Park, Zagreb, Zadar, Trogir, Rovinj, Makarska, Douro, Pula, Rovinj, Motovun and Porec.

As must as we want to see everything we know we must limit ourselves.

Would you also suggest Mostar, and the Bay of Kotor as side trips from Dubrovnik?

Thank you for all your help!

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
53,660 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinery recommendations for Croatia

With two weeks I would concentrate on Dalmatia and forget about Istria since there is so much you want to see in Dalmatia, and Dubrovnik is a must. Otherwise you will be running around and not enjoying each place. I also think a day trip to Mostar is a great idea. How are you planning on traveling from place to place and when are you going?

Mentioned in this post
Dalmatia
Dalmatia
Croatia
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
chicago, il
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinery recommendations for Croatia

We are planning on going mid May and will be renting a car.

What places do you recommend in Dalmatia? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Dalmatia
Dalmatia
Croatia
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
53,660 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinery recommendations for Croatia

You can easily spend two weeks from Dubrovnik to Zadar with many of the places that you already mentioned- Dubrovnik, Korcula, Split, Trogir, Zadar, Mostar, etc. If you want another island suggestion I would go with Vis.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinery recommendations for Croatia

Agree with Barry. Spend your 2 weeks in either the South or the North.

There are big distances between Dalmatia and Istria that you will spend too much time in the car for you to enjoy. As Barry says there are numerous places you mention in the South and you could easily spend 2 weeks there. If you like what you experience (and you will), save Istria for another time.

Mentioned in this post
Dalmatia
Dalmatia
Croatia
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,935 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinery recommendations for Croatia

As you are interested in Roman ruins, I think you can still see some of Istria in two weeks. Our first trip to Croatia we did a very similar itinerary to yours. In my opinion you would not need to see Makarska. Good but not wonderful.

As a history/archaeology/Roman ruins nut it would be such a pity for you to miss the excellent Pula amphitheatre and other ruins! Have you heard of Nesactium? They are prehistoric ruins near Porec that are rarely visited. The basilica in Porec is not to be missed, either. I would personally spend maybe ten days in Dalmatia and the remainder in Istria. But it also makes a difference where you fly in/out. If you love charming small towns, those in Istria just cannot be beat. Motovun is one of them but there are more that are even lovelier!

You could cut out Zagreb as well as Makarska. It is an underrated lovely city but it would be too much for this trip. They also do not fill your criteria as much as other places you listed.

Can I recommend you stay in Trogir and see Split on a daytrip? That is because you say you like quaint towns. Trogir = quaint. It is really lovely and the two are close together. Split is a great city but is a large sort of industrial city.

If you did not mention Roman ruins I would agree that two weeks in the south would be preferable but as you did, I had to bring up the virtues of Istria! :)

Edited: 12 January 2013, 15:22
Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Dalmatia
Dalmatia
Croatia
chicago, il
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinery recommendations for Croatia

Such great suggestions, thank you! One more question, choosing between Korcula and Hvar, which would be the better of the two to visit? Which would be the easiest to access and from what location? Thank you!

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinery recommendations for Croatia

Korcula is easier to get to from Dubrovnik and as part of a deiving tour.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
53,660 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinery recommendations for Croatia

I would pick Korcula over Hvar.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinery recommendations for Croatia

That was my thought too. Can you tell me why you would choose Korcula? Thank you!

chicago, il
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinery recommendations for Croatia

Chef at Home,

What are the towns you would recommend over Motovun? Thank you!