We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Plitvice Lakes National Park

Hi,

1) What decent transportation options exist to get to this area? We don't mind the train or bus as long as it isn't too arduous (i.e. numerous transfers, excessively long, etc.). We would be departing from Treviso airport. Renting a car is an option of course but not a desirable one. If that is the best choice, is that journey (via Slovenia) reasonably trivial?

2) Is the Plitvice Lakes area now safe re: land mines. I have been directed to consult this site http://www.hcr.hr/en/index.asp by my government but I can't determine if the problems are solved in that area. The park looks spectacular and we really want to go however we want to minimize risk on our vacation.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plitvice Lakes National Park

From Treviso airport, you don't have much of choices.

If you can get rental car that is allowed in Slovenia and Croatia, you can drive there in about 4.5-5 hours. Driving in Italy is real gambling sport. Be aware - they are all insane. Highway from Venice to Slovenia and Croatia is decent. I used company SIXT, that I recommend highly.

Your directions will be Treviso-hwy E4 toward Palmanova-Trieste-Slovenian border at Kozina-Croatian border at Pasjak- Rijeka- hwy 6 - exit Bosiljevo to Josipdol- Plitvice lakes (cca 400 km all together). Using bus or train would be real challenge to catch all of transfers...

Plitvice Lakes area and all roads heading there are just fine and perfectly safe. You are not going to have any problems. Last leg from Josipdol to Plitvice is passing through ex-frontline. However, there are no danger AT ALL driving that road. If you are intend to wander around in woods outside of the road might get you in troubles with bears rather than land mines. Common sense is quite enough to be perfectly safe. There are no reason not to stop along the road and enjoy possible roasted lamb meat in some of restaurants. If you find one along the road, it would be highly recommended.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 04:14
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plitvice Lakes National Park

Hi Tvrtko,

Thanks for your reply. I suspected that via bus / train would be difficult. Thanks for your advice on the safety as well, we would stick to dedicated paths and use common sense etc. Roadside roasted lamb or the local food options is exactly what we like to do for eating so thanks for that tip as well.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plitvice Lakes National Park

This restaurant i Josipdol is one of 100 the best Croatian restaurants. But, they are just in Croatian language. I haven't been there. But, based on opinions of other guests, it seems to be quite good. I can see prices are quite low and wine list is impressive.

http://www.restoran-gradina.hr/index.php

4. Re: Plitvice Lakes National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 06:17