We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September honeymoon itinerary

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Topic
September honeymoon itinerary

Hello all, my fiance and I are planning our honeymoon to Croatia at the end of September. We're flying from the US and plan to be there for about a week and a half. We are big foodies and are also looking for beaches, vineyards, cafe dining, wandering through the towns, and romantic spots. Right now, we are favoring the areas of Istria, Split/Hvar, and Dubrovnik. We were hoping to fly into Split or Dubrovnik, then eventually fly out of Istria back home. Is this possible, and does anyone have any suggestions of how best to get around? Do you suggest booking it ourselves, or are there any companies that would arrange the travel details for us, including different hotels/apartments? Appreciate the feedback; thanks!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September honeymoon itinerary

Congrats!

You might try http://www.croatiatravel.com/ for flights, but definitely make your own comparison with kayak also.

With a week and a half, it just depends on your travel style and if you can get the open jaw flights you desire. I suggest a few days Dubrovnik, a few days Split/Hvar, and a few days Istria (Rovinj would be my choice, but I have not made it to Istria yet). The extra days are "wild card"--they'll be eaten up by travel as well as which of the above places you decide to stay longer and if you decide to add one more spot. Getting from Split to Istria you may want to add a stay somewhere.

You can easily get from place to place with the bus or ferry/catamaran. If you stay on one island for a while, you may want to rent a car (or scooter). For the hill towns of Istria, a car is recommended.

The bulk of your budget is going to be spent getting there, but the beauty is that once you are there, renting a private apartment with a balcony and sea view will come at a steal, so I highly suggest doing that yourself--easily booked over the internet. You can also stock breakfast and lunch and then enjoy splurging on dinner.

I think your first/next step should be flight searches. Until you find out what is going to be possible and affordable, we cannot make specific itinerary suggestions. Well, we can, but it becomes pointless until the flight is booked, ya know?

I do think your overall plan is a good one, but once you read more you will have top make tough decisions about what to include.

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: September honeymoon itinerary

Thank you!! We are both really excited to check out Croatia. We have been looking at flights; flying into Paris/London. I guess I'm just trying to figure out best how to get between all points we want to see. I was thinking to fly into Split, spend some time there and Hvar, travel to Dubrovnik (by plane?), spend a few days there, then fly from Dubrovnik to somewhere in Istria, and from there home. I just don't know the best ways to get everywhere. Plane? Rent a car? I guess that includes also trying to get to all the restaurants/wineries/etc we want to see in Istria. Is it best to have a car there?

Thanks again!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September honeymoon itinerary

I suggest you check into flying all the way there, because often when you change to low cost carriers in a larger city, the connections can be tricky. You might even be expected to change airports, etc. Honestly, airfares are so high this year that it will probably not be much more to fly into Dubrovnik and out of Pula or Zagreb versus flying to London and doing every thing separately, bu I could be wrong. Check skyscanner too (a euro kayak).

Do you have a guide book yet? Split to Dubrovnik is only 4 hours apart, so bus or car is the best way. Or if you do some island hopping you can take ferries/catamarans as I mentioned. You are correct you may want to fly to Pula in Istria, but not necessarily if you decide you want a car and drive up the coast or take the overnight ferry to Rijeka--that's why you only need to find your flights now and the rest will fall into place once you do more reading.

4. Re: September honeymoon itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2013, 14:17
5. Re: September honeymoon itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 07:16