We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

We are arriving to Ljubljana (hopefully via night train from Prague) on September 20th, and we are flying from Dubrovnik on October 5th. Here are some of my tentative thoughts, but this far ahead of time, pretty much everything can still be changed. I would love input, anything that looks just like a bad idea, whatever. We love nature, don't like crowds, love to get lost on back roads, love wine tasting, love beaches, but not for lying there, more for the view. Love some of the scenery and history in Europe we can't get in Canada, but live close enough to the Canadian Rockies so that, while I would never say we are not enchanted by Alpine scenery, we have some of the best in our own back yard. Anyway:

Arrive Llubljana, pick up rental car

Two nights in Llubljana, perhaps a short day trip on Saturday 21st - to where?.

Sunday 22nd - to Bled, Lake Bohing, Vrsic pass......overnight - maybe where??

Monday - drive to Istria, via Piran - stay 3-4 nights in ?? Rovinj? Explore Istria

Friday - Sept. 27th - Plitvice Lakes - 1-2 nights (two nights too much)

Saturday or Sunday - to Split - one night

Return rental car in Split - ferry to Hvar (not sure this is our style, maybe too glitzy?) or another island for 2 nights - trouble finding accurate ferry info. Is it still o.k. at end of September, beginning of October for ferry service?

After 2 nights on island - return by ferry to Split, bus to Dubrovnik, and Dubrovnik for last ....3-4 nights, depending on schedule

Alternative: Keep rental car as far as Dubrovnik, then do a few days, or a few day trips, to islands from Dubrovnik. We'd like to see an island, just not sure which one, and how to get there. I thought about Krk as well - can drive right on, but what's that like, does anyone have any thoughts? What "must see" have I left off? I know we are not going everywhere, but you can't in two weeks.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

1. Did you check if it's allowed to rent a car in Slovenia and return to Split?

2. 3 days in Slovenia out of which 2 of them in Ljubljana? If you like nature and scenery, Ljubljana is not the place for you. Go to Postojna (visit cave). If I want to go to Slovenia, I would go for a 5 days in Logarska dolina and rent a room in some private home with home made food including fresh baked bread and other goodies. But, you said you already have Alpine views at home...

Well...than maybe some castle-hotel near Novo Mesto (it's called OTOČEC), Visit Škocjan cave and spend night in Šmarješke toplice (spa), Čateške toplice (spa) and visit Mokrice hotel/castle. I would rather do all of these things than hang around in the city...

3. Ferries will be still in full force and Summer schedule in September.

The only thing that you don't have in Canada are CASTLES. And there are some spectacular castles in Slovenia and Croatia. So, might be idea to focus yourself on that small detail and build up your tour along interesting castles...

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

Hvar Town won't be too glitzy at the end of September - there's a very tight glitz season in that area and outside of July/August it really isn't. But Vis might suit you anyway as an alternative. Summer timetables for boats runs to 30th September then revert to the winter timetable (which is the same as the current ones which tend to run to end May).

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

Thanks to both of you who replied. Comments on the ferry schedules etc very helpful.

And Tvrtko, I have taken another look at Slovenia, and I agree my itinerary there needs some tweeking to say the least. I am thinking maybe just the first night on arrival to stay in Ljubljana, them a more leisurely pace around the north, northwest (Bled, Bohinj), then swing round to the south, southwest Karst area, Lipizan horses, wineries, and Predjama Castle. You are right - no castles in Canada for sure!

I think we could take 6 days to do that, before moving to Istria.

And I have a tentative car reservation with Sixt. Yes, quite a premium is charged for dropping off in Croatia, but so far I am thinking it is worth it, to avoid the interruptions in the travel that car drop off, transportation across the border, car pickup, etc, would cause. We are paying an extra $250-300 to do this - but what is our time worth, train journey, etc? I think it might make sense.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

Ferry schedules change from summer to winter on September 30th.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

For Dubrovnik, one day is enough, unless you will visit Montenegro, Bosnia and Elafiti islands from it.

Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

Part of our itinerary of a trip to Slovenia and Croatia were similar to yours. We ended up staying 3 nights in Bled - interesting old villages around there. Also recommend Postjama, an unusual castle built into a rock cliff. Also many interesting caves in the area if that interests you. Going through the Slovenian Alps is fascinating not so much for the Alpine scenery perhaps (although it is beautiful) but for the history. This was the eastern front of WWI where Hemingway set his novel based on his medic experiences. There is a fabulous history museum in one of the villages plus many walks in the area of the battlefields. Also, some lovely Austrian style hotels in these villages (also in Bled.) I never imagined major battles taking places in mountain terrain.

We also loved Plitvice and spent a whole day walking all the trails. We stayed at a hotel right at the site and had the morning to ourselves. The hotel was very basic but the location was fabulous.

Don't underestimate the appeal of Istria - gorgeous hill towns, stunning Venetian influenced towns on the coast, great food and wine. We planned to spend 2 nights and ended up spending 4 or 5 nights here in one location and made day trips north and south.

We stayed on a smaller island, Rab, which has a lovely mini Venetian village and is very low key with enough to see for a couple of days. Also, easy ferry access. We stayed in a beautiful B& B right on the water near the walkways into the village.

We never did get as far south as Dubrovnik since we included Hungary in our circular itinerary.

It's a beautiful area. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 21:57
Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

I would be interested in knowing where you stayed in Istria - I am thinking of three nights there. Just looking at hotels in Rovinj. They seem a little pricey, and I'm not sure we need to actually stay there as a base for exploring the area.

Also, with respect to Plitvice - could you tell me, did you stay two nights, and have the full day to explore the area? Is that important, or would one night be enough.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments!

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

One day should be enough for Plitvice lakes. That`s our usual destination for one day excursions.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

Agreed that one night would be enough for Plitvice.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I would value input on a tentative itinerary...

Greetings from a fellow Albertan!

On our first trip to Croatia we loved it so much that we bought a house in Istria a few years after that. Now we go regularly. So, I have great recommendations of things to see and do in Istria. There are a few castles (ruins) that are fun to explore for Canadians who don't have that sort of thing. :)

You are going in a glorious time of year. If you are into it, you could go truffle hunting at the end of September/beginning of October. It is not something you get to do in Canada, that is for sure.

I would highly recommend you staying in Rovinj for a few nights. It is stunning and makes a lovely base from which to drive to the hilltowns. Rovinj is right on the water. You could drive or take a boat from there to Porec where you must see the Euphrasian Basilica. My favourite hilltowns are Groznjan, Grascice, Zavrsje, Draguc and Hum. Those are must sees in my opinion. I also love Motovun but it is a bit busier. It has wondrous views over all Istria, though, so definitely worth the trip. It is also a must see town. There are so very many! Part of the fun is grabbing a regional map from the TI office (request it in advance - istra.hr will mail it to you along with lots of great pamphlets) and just driving to see where you end up.

If you are interested in ruins, you should see the ruined town of Dvigrad which is located in dense forest. It is fun to have a picnic lunch there and just wander at will. It is free and intriguing.

Pula is another must-see place. The coliseum is absolutely amazing. There are other Roman ruins scattered throughout town (i.e. some behind the archaeological museum, others all over). Look for Agrippina's very ruined place. She was Nero's mother so it is very significant.

Istria also has some of the best restaurants in the country and is known for its excellent cuisine, olive oils, wines, Boskarin (very local beef), prsut (like prosciutto only better)...