We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to expect as a single female traveler?

Boston...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to expect as a single female traveler?

Hi- Planning a trip along the Dalmatian Coast in October and wondering what the atmosphere is like for a woman traveling alone, especially if I want to hike some of the islands like Vis or Korcula.

Thanks!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,717 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to expect as a single female traveler?

Croatia is a very safe country, should experience no problems. Like anywhere in the world, always follow the usual safety precautions, (e.g be aware of surroundings, keep valuables safe etc). Have a great time!

Boston...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to expect as a single female traveler?

I wasn't really talking about danger. I was talking about atmosphere: will I be left alone or will people (men) try to talk to me all the time? Can I enjoy solitude without having to deflect unwanted attention all the time?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to expect as a single female traveler?

It depend on person's personality. You always get what you are looking for.

Edited: 21 March 2013, 02:20
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to expect as a single female traveler?

Throughout the Balkans, you are very likely to be left alone. Unless you keep looking and smiling at strangers. :) In small, rural environments, you might be offered help if people see you all alone, in the middle of nowhere.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to expect as a single female traveler?

IMO; its like anywhere else in the world except maybe parts of Africa & some Arabic countries.

The people in Croatia are lovely & also friendly - a smile goes a long way. Also IMO its better if people notice you if your are walking alone.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to expect as a single female traveler?

I have always felt very safe in Croatia and it is the safest I have felt anywhere along with Northern Ireland believe it or not. Admittedly I have travelled with partner, but we have separated on a few occasions to do different things and I have never been troubled. Just take the normal precautions that you would take anywhere.

Edited: 21 March 2013, 18:53
Mentioned in this post
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Zadar, Zagrebacka...
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to expect as a single female traveler?

Islands should be even more safe & friendly, especially outside the summer season. I don't think many people will approach you. You certainly won't be hassled, but there are bad individuals everywhere...

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,340 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to expect as a single female traveler?

Croatia is not the kind of place where women get regularly hassled - it is not like Morocco or Tunisia where women unaccompanied by men are seen as fair game. However, October is out of season so you may be very much on your own - which may be a consideration for your hiking plans.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Zagreb
Level Contributor
124 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to expect as a single female traveler?

You're highly unlikely to be harrassed by locals when you're out and about in Croatia.

If a cafe is quiet and you're alone, the waiter or owner may start up a bit of chit-chat just out of curiosity.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What to expect as a single female traveler?

I just returned from a trip through all of these Balkan countries as a solo 18 year old girl. It was the most amazing experience, the locals are the most friendly and kind people i meet out of all of Europe I've seen! I wasn't harassed or bothered, but if you are open to getting to know these people and their cultures you will have the most rewarding trip, i promise! i also felt safer walking for example in Belgrade, Sarajevo or Skopje at night than i did in Madrid or Milan. Just take normal precautions and you will be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Skopje
Skopje
Skopje Region, Republic of Macedonia
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy