We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks in Croatia

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
2 Weeks in Croatia

Looking for some ideas on a 2 week trip to Croatia (and/or surrounding countries).

Plan would be to fly into Zagreb and then out of Dubrovnick.

Travelling as a couple and looking for a mix of culture, history, walking, museums, rest, beach, adventure, etc.

VERY Preliminary Itinerary (and hoping for ALOT of help):

Day 1 - 3 in Zagreb

Day 4-5 travel to Rijeka/Pula/Rovinj (any suggestions?)

Day 6-7 Spent in the Plutvice Lakes National Park

Day 8 - Zadar

Day 9-12 Split/Hvar/Korcula (1 day each OR should we spend more on one)?

Day 13-14 Dubrovnik (looks like there is a flight from DBV to ZAG at 2000 on the 14th to make the flight out of ZAG to FRA to YYZ.

This may even be ambitious or overly ambitious...and it may even be better to bus/train while in the country (especially on the island hoping part)....

ANY help/feedback/comments and suggestions is truly appreciated!

Thank You in advance.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,166 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks in Croatia

On your way to Dubrovnik I suggest spending a night in Mostar for history and culture.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks in Croatia

Appreciate the idea - I was thinking of that as there is alot of BEACH between Zadar and DBV - thank you.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,166 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks in Croatia

I also think that one night will be enough in Plitvice and that night can be spent elsewhere.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks in Croatia

Do not bother with Rijeka. I would definitely stay in Rovinj. It makes a great base. As others have said, one night in Plitvice is plenty - I would add that night to Istria instead.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Weeks in Croatia

I don`t see the dates, but I think one day is enough for Zagreb. Also, it will be too much driving to see Rovinj or Pula from Zagreb and than back to Plitvice. Rijeka is closer but it`s nothing special to see.

One day is enough for Pltivice. Don`t miss Zadar.

Did you think about taking a 7 day cruise from Split to Dubrovnik? It`s great way of exploring islands and definitely easier that ferry island hopping.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Weeks in Croatia

I had never thought of this but it seems like a great idea! Thank You.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Weeks in Croatia

I love Rijeka but it's not a tourist place. With only 2-3 days for Istria I'm not sure what you can expect. Will you be renting a car?

Zagreb-Rovinj. Enjoy the city. I don't think there's time for Pula. Next day, visit Grožnjan, Motovun and Hum, then climb Mt. Učka's Vojak peak for incredible views and reach Opatija. Walk down the Lungomare path, relax, enjoy. Next day to Plitvice. Still, 2 days is so not enough for Istria that you could just stay in Rovinj or even skip altogether.

Check some of my MTB Street view movies from Istria to see what you're missing. ;): Rovinj - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M35I33JH00, Mt. Učka - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOJ1ZPCJ_SY, Opatija - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXKdKyvQbQE.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Weeks in Croatia

Thanks Srdjanlcanic - i have actually been reading your posts alot to figure out where and what to do.

Small change of plans....as my GF is set on Prague to start...so we are now looking at about 10/11 days in Croatia. Plan would be to fly from Prague to Dubrovnik and work our way back to Zagreb for the flight out.

Given the condensed itinerary - Im thinking of only one of the southern islands and then more time in Istria - in that event what do you recommend?

Still working on the logistics of getting from the Dubrovnik to Zagreb - any recommendations?

Again thank you for the help.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Weeks in Croatia

To be honest, I thought your schedule was packed before, now it's.. not better. ;) It becomes even a matter of details - what time of day will you arrive in Dubrovnik? With transfer and rest, you probably can't call it a day 1. Anyway, you would probably head for Split on day 3, island(s) on day 5, then to Zadar/Plitvice no sooner than day 7. So again, it would be no more than 3 days for entire Istria. Possible, but could feel a bit hectic.

I would still suggest seeing both "coasts", meaning Rovinj and Opatija. You can see Mt. Učka, Motovun, Grožnjan and Hum on your way between the two, shouldn't take more than 5 hours. Still, if you need to end the trip in Zagreb, it's best to go for Rovinj first, visit those places along the way (from Plitvice). Spend 2nd Istrian day in Rovinj, on the third go to Opatija, have a great time and leave for Zagreb in the morning. Or do some combining. :) If time is short, you could leave for Opatija on the 2nd day after lunch.

Of course, there's always the option of skipping Istria completely. But living so far away I really think it would be such a shame. It's better to be a bit hectic than miss completely.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Weeks in Croatia

Oh, one more thing. Especially in such a packed schedule, I think you should take as many pictures as possible in various situations. But also make sure you create video clips with your impressions of places you either visit or simply go by. It will help you a lot to process them later, at home, and create the best memories. If you've seen some of my movies, you know that's what I like to do. :)