We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains in Croatia!!! (Oh and other bits and bobs)

Onecote, null...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trains in Croatia!!! (Oh and other bits and bobs)

Hello!

I am travelling around Croatia for around 10 days. I start in Pula and then want to head down to Hvar. I'm travelling end of August - early Sept. Cost is an issue so I was thinking a £46 Croatia inter-rail ticket. I know it is a long stuffy train from Pula to Split but I was wondering if it is cheaper buying on the day or even a bus ?

I am also travelling from Split to Zadar for a flight back so the inter-rail ticket would also cover that.

Obviously I have to get from Split to Hvar and I don't really fancy swimming so what are the options for boats ? I have looked on the internet but the timetables and options are confusing me and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it! I was thinking, night train from Pula to Split then early boat across? Do not know how feasible that is but I would be happy to stay a night in Split.

Also is it possible to get from Hvar to Zadar via Split in a day ?

Many thanks in advance!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains in Croatia!!! (Oh and other bits and bobs)

The government has, indeed, announced new plans for trains, but for the time being, you cannot travel from Pula to Split by train. You would have to take a bus to Zagreb, and then train to Split. Also, there is no train between Split and Zadar. However, I think that your £46 will cover nearly all of the travelling by bus, as the bus tickets are still on a budget side.

It is possible to get from Hvar to Zadar via Split in a day - Hvar-Split 1-2hrs by boat, Split-Zadar 3 or so hrs by bus.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains in Croatia!!! (Oh and other bits and bobs)

Is there no train from Rijeka to Split?

@James There are no trains in Istria so bus is the only option there. Rijeka is the first connection.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains in Croatia!!! (Oh and other bits and bobs)

Doable in steeplechase mode.Train Pula to Rijeka.(at Lupoglav change to "railroad" bus to Rijeka).To Split with change at Oštarije.To Zadar you change at Knin.Long hours but few guienas will be saved.

Truth is that rail service is in disintegration and especially at/around the coast where bus makes more sense (and more bucks)

160HRK buys you fresh air deck at sleeper floater (Jun-Sep) Rijeka to Split www.jadrolinija.hr

Edited: 24 May 2013, 23:00
Durham
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains in Croatia!!! (Oh and other bits and bobs)

If the catamaran from Pula to Zadar is running that and the bus from Zadar to Split is a good way to do your journey. On the return there's no problem getting from Hvar to Zadar. Morning catamaran followed by bus.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains in Croatia!!! (Oh and other bits and bobs)

there is a train between Rijeka and Zagreb, but if you make that distance in 1.5 hr by car, and 2.5 hrs by bus, I think that 3.5-4hrs by train make the train an illogical mean of transportation. unless someone is crazy about trains that is... bus between Zageb and Split takes 5 hours, train 6.5, so... there's definitely some need of a remake to be done to Croatian railroads and railways...

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains in Croatia!!! (Oh and other bits and bobs)

If you have more time than money (and frugal by nature) all means of transport is feasible.In this case Bruce has an rail pass and there is nothing strange about trainspotting.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains in Croatia!!! (Oh and other bits and bobs)

good one, Kefa ;)

8. Re: Trains in Croatia!!! (Oh and other bits and bobs)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 06:16