We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not-so-touristy places?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Not-so-touristy places?

Hi,

I've read bits and pieces about particular cities in Croatia, and although I can't say I know from experience, it seems Dubrovnik, Zadar, and Split are plagued with tourists. I'm not saying these cities are bad, but I'm hoping to find a decently-sized coastal city minus all the tourists and souvenir shops where the locals tend to really love your money. A city with a not-so-touristy feel. This is the best way I can explain it. Any cities in mind? I've heard Rovinj may be good for this. What are your guys' thoughts?

Durham
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not-so-touristy places?

Rovinj is very pretty but also very touristy and quite expensive. Going inland is a way to escape tourists in Istria.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not-so-touristy places?

the smaller the better... just any of them...

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,340 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not-so-touristy places?

Rovinj is stunning but very crowded in July and August especially. Vrsar is not far from Rovinj and it is a small, charming hilltown right on the coast. But it is true - the best way to escape crowds is to go inland. Perhaps you might consider staying at a lovely hilltown where it is peaceful and then take daytrips to the coast. Of course that would mean renting a car, which is very easy in Croatia.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not-so-touristy places?

Šibenik is worth considering as well. One of the most beautiful places in the country.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not-so-touristy places?

If you want a coastal city that isn't full of tourists then I think that you need to go out of season - end of September to mid May. Croatia's economy is very dependent on tourism and this will probably become more significant once in the EU as the government will be unable to prop up unprofitable state industries such as ship-building. As Croatia was blessed with pretty much the entire Adriatic coast from the former Yugoslavia the coastal towns are very tourism focused.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
36,832 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not-so-touristy places?

I think you could probably find a real small place somewhere on the coast that isn't too touristy, but I don't think you are going to find a decent sized city that isn't touristy.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not-so-touristy places?

I think it depends on which month you intend on visiting. Certainly July and August everywhere on the coast will be full of tourists. Early to mid June and mid September onwards are the best times when kids are in school. I'm afraid Dubrovnik is always busy because of the huge number of cruise ships that dock there. Dubrovnik is best visited well out of season.

Cres
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Not-so-touristy places?

Hi,

so I think you should come to Cres, it´s a city on the island cres, you can reach it easily from Rijeka with the catamaran, it´s also not expensive and enjoy there your summer holidays. Cres does not have big hotels or resorts or something that there can be tourist crowds, it has his unique charme, you have to see it.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,340 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not-so-touristy places?

I agree - Cres really is lovely!

Sofia, Bulgaria
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Not-so-touristy places?

if you want a quieter vacation that includes sightseeing coffee and lunches, maybe swimming and sunbathing without crowds and a crazy nightlife, Sibenik is certainly the ideal choice