We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our First Visit to Croatia - June end - thru Mid July

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Our First Visit to Croatia - June end - thru Mid July

Hello Dear Community - My wife, daughter(age 10) and I are traveling for the first time to Croatia. We have certainly read a lot on your forums and taken in ideas. I want to share our plans so you folks can comment if we have overlooked something.

Day 1 -4

We fly into Dubrovnik and get there on a Thursday evening. The long flight dfrom the US with a change in both London and Zagreb will certainly not make for an active evening. However as we stay within the walled part of Old Dubrivnik we might just walk around town. The next day our plan is to walk the walls, and would like to know about a local beach and anything else. Day 3 would be at Lopud Island on the beach. Day 4 - would be an excursion to Mijet Island

Day 5

We drive to Kotor and stay there. Tips welcome on what to do in Kotor, we will be there just for 24 hours.

Day 6

We drive from Kotor to Mostar - Once again of someone has done this drive the shortest or most easiest drive would be most welcome. Of course there is always Google Maps but I trust our forum more. Also border issues are also good suggestions. In Mostar to we plan to be there for a day and sightseeing ideas are most welcome. Also, tell us of towns on the way and back from Mostar onto Trogir.

Day 7

As listed above we drive from Mostar to Trogir and stay the night in Trogir. Once again thoughts are welcome about sightseeing in Trogir.

Day 8 - 11

Rise early and take the car ferry from Split to Starigard on Hvar and stay in Havr Island in a samll village called Milna quite close to Hvar town. Not too planned in this part of the trip as we want to chill. One day I would like to do the Island of Vis though and suggestions on that are welcome

Day 12

Ferry to Split and onto Zadar for a day. Zadar sightseeing ideas welcomed.

Day 13 - 16

Drive from Zadar to Istria and stay in Rovinj. While in Istria - one day Pula, one day Porec and one day hill towns of Motovun & potentially Grosanjan

Day 17

drive to Zagreb and stay there for the night before flying on day 18 back to the US.

I welcome peoples ideas on small changes. as we are booked for the trip in terms of lodging it is unlikely we can change now but sugegstions on what to explore and eat at particular places would be very welcome.

The most active members on the Croatia forum like Barrymanilow, chefathome Morlaque, tamerlano, I would really hope you oblige.

Obviously we could do more but this is our big vacation for the year and has to be a mix of sightseeign and relaxation so we did drop Plivtjke and Slovenia (Lake Bled, Castles, Ljublanja).

Thanks to all for making this a great community

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,170 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our First Visit to Croatia - June end - thru Mid July

I will just start by saying in Dubrovnik you should hit Banje Beach which is very near to the Old Town out the Ploce Gate. I love this beach for the fact that its clean and its great just to go for a swim out to the buoys and gaze over at the Old Town walls....just spectacular!

croatia-beaches.com/best/dubrovnik_banje_bea…

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our First Visit to Croatia - June end - thru Mid July

Thanks, knew you would have great stuff.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,170 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our First Visit to Croatia - June end - thru Mid July

Not sure about the drive across land from Kotor to Mostar so can't comment on that, but I guess my thought would be to go to Kotor first, then back up to Dubrovnik and then on to Mostar after that to avoid any backtracking? If you do drive from Dubrovnik up to Mostar then I think a stop in Pocitelj is a must and also if you are hungry a stop in Ston before that.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our First Visit to Croatia - June end - thru Mid July

Agree with Barry re Kotor to Dubrovnik to Mostar.

Your itinerary is lovely - you must be very excited! We drive three hours to Saskatoon, then fly to Toronto over so I can understand how your first day will not exactly be an energetic one. Just force yourselves to stay up until bedtime in Croatia to get on track.

Great idea to walk the walls on your first full day - it is not only breathtaking but can also help with orientation. Love that you are going to Lopud and Mljet. Gorgeous!

In Trogir, the site is the town itself. The best thing to do is to take your time and stroll the beautiful gem of a place. Keep in mind it will be crowded (as will most other places you will be, especially that time of year) but once you are over that just focus on the beauty you are seeing. Grab a gelato and walk. It is a photographer's dream.

I really like the rest of your plan, too. If you possibly can, make sure you see Groznjan. Many (including myself) prefer it to Motovun but both are soooooo worth it. Hum is an extraordinary tiny place that is gorgeous as well. Make sure you go to the Euphrasian Basilica in Porec and just walk by the water. Rovinj is a glorious in which to base. If you do not feel like driving, you can even take a boat to Vrsar then to Porec from Rovinj which is nice on a hot day.

Zagreb is truly under-rated. I recommend arriving there in good time so you can walk around the old town centre. It is small so it does not take long but it would be a pity to miss. The new town is lovely as well but with a short time the old town would be your best pick I think.

Have a grand time! :)

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our First Visit to Croatia - June end - thru Mid July

Thanks for those nuggets Chefathome. Will keep all your suggestions in mind and may drop you and barrymanilow some more specific questions. Thanks again

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our First Visit to Croatia - June end - thru Mid July

Definitely come back if you have further questions. I'm very excited for your first Croatian visit!

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Our First Visit to Croatia - June end - thru Mid July

Istria

On your way from Zadar, I'd suggest also climbing Mt. Učka for incredible view of entire Istria and Kvarner Bay. You can see it in my MTB Street view movie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOJ1ZPCJ_SY. It would also be best to visit Motovun and Grožnjan on the same day, before reaching Rovinj.

As Chef said, Grožnjan is far more beautiful and impressive, but do visit both. They are small and don't take much time. You can compare them through my movies. Motovun - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od8WboFtnWU, Grožnjan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZhjAH3Nh8.

And why you should visit them on the same day, leaving more time for Rovinj? Just take a look at my movie from Rovinj. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M35I33JH00

P.S. If you could also squeeze Opatija, at least for an hour or two - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXKdKyvQbQE.

8. Re: Our First Visit to Croatia - June end - thru Mid July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 05:17