We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August trip

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
August trip

Greetings everyone,

I am currently planning a trip with the girlfriend this mid-august to Croatia for about 25 days and I would really appreciate to have a few inputs/suggestions about the trip from you fellow travelers.

Our current plan is to land in Zagreb, spend a few days in the area then rent a car and make our way to Dubrovnik. We want to take the time to check everything there is of worth to check in between, Krk, Zadar, Split, etc. Then, in the end we thought about spending a few days in the Dubrovnik area and just chill before taking off from there. The girl really wants to beach, where would it be best to plan a few extra days?

An thoughts on what not to miss on the way down, any other good places to stay/spend some days? Suggestions?

We thought about maybe spending a few days in Slovenia while we are near and maybe make it to the Julian Alps. I am just wondering if it will be easy to do Slovenia-Croatia borders crossing back and forth for two Canadians? Any recommendations?

In general, I suppose the roads are easily navigable ?

Thank you in advance for any input!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August trip

great idea of yours! I somewhat envy your for a 25 day time hole...

this is a very long period of time to help with itineraries, and I think it would be the best to check the other thread here - currently, there are about 5 itineraries running right on this Croatian forum running about the same thing - (some packing those destinations into 10 days though...) - some are below this text. You may get some more ideas, and come back with some specific issues..

However, the best thing you could do is to plan to hire a car.

the roads are easily navigable, with highways in Croatia to all coastal towns, with exclusion of Dubrovnik (the last patch is still two-direction road, pending the highway completion) and the coastal road between Rijeka and zadar. google maps has pretty accurate times, if you'll check it.

for more info, the website of the Croatian tourist board may be very helpful here:

http://croatia.hr/en-GB/Homepage

among other places, you shouldn't miss Istria in the northwest and its centre Pula, once an ancient Roman centre, with a still standing well preserved amphitheatre, Roman forum, temple, archeological museum. Istria is 3 hrs from Zagreb.

threads:

tripadvisor.com/…50198469

tripadvisor.com/…50217363

tripadvisor.com/…37509015

tripadvisor.com/…50214524

tripadvisor.com/…50214494

tripadvisor.com/…50200228

tripadvisor.com/…50171045

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August trip

Thank you very much for all the links. We are currently working on a more specific itinerary, I will absolutely have some more questions soon. :)

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August trip

Bonjour!! and nice to have fellow Quebecers coming to visit here in Croatia!! I do the CAA Voyages Quebec tours gosh your itinerary is almost the September 8 departure tour, to bad its sold out but actualy if you check the website then you will also get some ideas of my particular likes. So first if its end of August I would start in Slovenia and work my way down..if you want a tip on airfare Montreal-Venice is your only direct connection with Transat ( like them or hate them) anyway all the others to Slovenia ( too expensive) and Croatia Zagreb are through Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Munich or London..A suggestion if you fly straight to Venice rent a car there..Slovenia is only 1,5 hours awy, Bled, Bohinj, Bovec all super, then into Croatia ( easy as stopping at a toll booth even for Canadians!! then do Istria, Pula, Rovinj, Motovun, then here in Opatija, then Plitvice, then zadar, Trogir, Split, Hvar(beach time,,) Korcula, Dubrovnik..car ferry to Italy and drive back to Venice for your flight home!! If you never been to Venice perfect end on day 24 and 25 of your trip..hope that helps and somewhere between the 9 and 25 of September look for myself and 20 Quebecois between Bled and Dubrovnik!!!

Edited: 12 June 2013, 04:11
Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August trip

Aw, merci Peter. It's too bad I saw your message like 2 minutes after booking the flights! Totally forgot about Venice, that would have been a great idea. We will finally be doing the round-trip to Zagreb with Lufthansa, got some very decent price for a 1 stop in Munich 10 hours total flight.

Still working on that itinerary, will definitely check at the CAA tour for some insights, thank you! Now to 23 days instead of 25, so we might cut on Slovenia.

Thank you both again!

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August trip

C'est parfait and we use that same Munich transfer into zagreb for the group..just thought you may want to have a peak at venice too..lots of car rental info too if you need it and realy Zagreb to Ljubljana is a 1 hour drive so no reason to cut out Slovenia. I lived in Piran on the coast last year and its wow!!..all these points like Ljubljana, Bled, and then Piran on the coast are 1 hour driving, incredible in Slovenia to go from the Alps to the sea in a bit over 1 hour, then Piran to Croatia is 5 minutes cross and you are in Istria with everything also very close!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August trip

So we have come up with some sort of itinerary! You sold me on Slovenia Peter, Bled looks absolutely amazing. I definitely want to hike in the Alps.

1-Zagreb (Arrival) (1 night)

2- Bled (2 nights)

3- Zagreb (1 night)

4- Zadar (2 nights)

5- Split Area and Islands (3 nights)

6- Dubrovnik (2 nights)

7- Split Area and Islands (2 nights)

8- Opatija (1 night)

9- Istria Area (6 nights)

10- Zagreb (Departure) (1 night)

How does it look? We're thinking about renting a car from Zagreb to Split. Checking the Plitvice Lakes on the way to Zadar. Then in Split, work our way to Dubrovnik using ferries and public transportation. We are still debating on where to stay in the Split Area for the 5 nights we would have. We are thinking Trogir(1night), Hvar(2nights) and Korcula(2nights). Any other suggestions?

Then we would car hire again back to Opatija then Istria to relax before we leave. It seems like Istria is worth that many nights. Is everything close enough that we would not need to keep the car? Otherwise maybe not renting a car and taking the ferry from Split to Opatija/Rijeka might be a better idea.

Ahhh, it just seems like there is too much to see, so excited.

Thank you for any inputs!

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August trip

Istria is worth 6 nights most definitely. It is advisable to rent a car to see many villages and such that public transportation does not go to. It really is magical. You have a great and varied itinerary. :-)

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August trip

First I love this..Visitors from Quebec City,, Istria Dest. expert from Edmonton, and Opatija tour operatore from Montreal..Go Canada Go!! We all have good taste both here in Croatia and home in Canada both are fantastic places !!!

So back to Waves itinerary, yes chefathome toke the words out of my mouth varied itinerary and the choice of where and where not to have a rental car is definitely more a factor here on the Istrian peninsula. Lots to see but public transport as I keep repeating since a year in both Slovenian and Croatian forums was set up for students, workers 50 years ago, and again tourists are not the priority of the bus, and almost non existant train system! Oddly the best is plane as Croatian Air and Adria Air have enough competition from the Ryan, Easy, Wizz , Thomson etc etc,,that they have to keep up...bus and trains have absolutely no competition here! Anyway here is what I would change on your schedule as you go back and forth over the same places a couple of times...Zagreb-Ljubljana-Bled since you arive Zagreb about noon go straight to Ljubljana by bus or train many a day...realy you will love Ljubljana its Paris, Venice, in a small scale, sleep there, then Bled for 2 nights, then go by train or bus to Adriatic coast of Slovenia, Piran 1 night, then wherever you get the best bus probably to Pula..get the rental car here and do your 5-6 days with I suggest Pula 3 night base and here in Opatija 2 night base, guys where is Plitvice Lakes in your schedule and no excuses you must stop there 1 night after leaving Opatija..then Zadar 2 nights, then Trogir ( next to Split)) 2 nights Trogir perfect base for Split, nicer, less expensive but only 30 minutes to Split..loose the car ( give it back) in Split and hop on passenger only catamaran to Hvar island ( St Tropez of Croatia) 2 nights, Korcula by boat also 1 night then Dubrovnik by bus 2 nights..and now BIG secret !!! Fly for 55 minutes from Dubrovnik to Zagreb..5 flights a day usualy about 40-50 Euros one way..guys its one of the best deals around just go on the Croatian airlines website..then your last days in Zagreb before flying home!!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August trip

Wow, thank you both so much to have taken the time to answer!

I like the idea of skipping Zagreb upon arrival and do one more night in Slovenia. Didn't think flight from Dubrovnik to Zagreb would be so cheap, totally different from around here, eh! We might however keep the last week of our trip to Istria, Dubrovnik doesn't seem as relaxing as Istria and we want to end in a more relaxing manner!

We will check the Plitvice Lakes area on the way to Zadar from Zagreb and try to spend a day there, definitely on our plan! Opatija is looking awesome, we are thinking about staying an extra night there, in your honour, hehe.

We will start booking hostels this weekend, so it's gonna be set! I think we are better off booking online beforehand then going with the flow out there. Any tips on car hire, good company that we should not miss?

Thank you all so much again, tripadvisor is just so much helpful.

Zalakaros, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August trip

No problem and sometimes you would be surprised at the reasonable prices of some private appartments or family owned pensions, so before you start booking hostels you may want to post an approximate budget for the two people in a room with breakfast that you have and may be able to give you suggestions..Same for rental of the car once you know approximately where and what date you want to pick it up and where and what date you want to drop it off same thing!