We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croatia for two weeks, advice needed

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Croatia for two weeks, advice needed

We are a group of 4 (20 somethings) boys and girls travelling to Croatia for the last two weeks of an interrailing trip and are looking for advice on places to visit (late July and early August). We are starting in Zagreb and flying out of Dubrovnik, Ideally we are looking for a mix of beach and sightseeing, with Split and the Islands seeming like likely stops.

This is out itinerary so far...

Zagreb (3 nights)

Split (4 nights)

Island Hopping (6/7 nights)

Dubrovnik (3/4 nights)

Are main questions are would it be worth our while to take a day trip to Montenegro? What is the best way to work island trip, is there a specific order that people would recommend, (we would be starting our Island hopping on a Friday so would this effect the ferry possibilities) Ideally we would like to have a bit of flexibility with our trip but with it being high season is there any accommodation (especially on the islands) that people might recommend?

Thanks everyone for any ideas

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croatia for two weeks, advice needed

My thought is that you are spending one too many nights in Zagreb....Zadar might be another place to look into also...I think you have plenty of time to get to Kotor in Montenegro if that is something that you would want to do....how do you plan on traveling between places?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Croatia for two weeks, advice needed

Thanks, will take that into consideration. Would you recommend staying over night in Kotor or just a day trip? We're mostly planning on using trains, buses and boats where available, none of us would be very confident driving in an unfamiliar place.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Croatia for two weeks, advice needed

you cannot use trains, except for Zagreb-Split route (we prefer buses - much shorter...), because there are none. you can do Kotor as a day trip from Dubrovnik. I'd cut down on Zagreb, rather visit the Plitvice Lakes NP on the way between Zagreb and Split, and stay a night there.

and definitely start the island hopping on a day other than Friday/weekend, as you will be in Croatia during the peak season. if you do the island hopping, you will be mostly seeing the major towns. the hidden gem of the islands is what is elsewhere too, so you may rather opt to stay at one island for 6/7 nights and explore it. Be it for any of the islands. On the way to Dubrovnik, a rather nice tour is through Korcula island, and onwards by bus...

and start your booking asap...

Edited: 16 June 2013, 20:11
Norfolk
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Croatia for two weeks, advice needed

Hi, I am also off to Croatia for 2 weeks on 28/07/13, we fly into Dubrovnik and out of Pula, i am unsure on travel plans, my initial thoughts were to hire a car for a week and take in the coast road from Dubrovnik to Pula including Plitvke LAKES etc then to have a week relaxing in Pula looking around Rovinj etc! We will be camping so want pretty campsites etc! OR i thought about island hopping, really am not sure what will be best as the car hire is looking to be quite pricey!? Any ideas/thoughts? Irishgals have you got any further with your plans?

5. Re: Croatia for two weeks, advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 05:16