We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 nights in Croatia & Slovenia itinerary guidance?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
15 nights in Croatia & Slovenia itinerary guidance?

Hi all,

We're arriving in Zagreb on Sept 14 & leaving from DBV on Sept 29. We would appreciate any advice or suggestions on our itinerary.

We'd like to go to Slovenia- Ljubljana, lake bled, caves, horse farm etc. Then head down to Croatia & got to Istria (stay in Rovinj?) Lake Plivtice, Split definitely, Zagrab? Korcula? & end in DBV. How may days should we stay in each? We would rather not stay in a lot of different hotels & pack/unpack constantly. Is this too ambitious of a plan? We like to stop & smell the roses as we say!

We would like to rent a car only when needed so where do you suggest we need a car in? We'd like to keep the car costs down unless mass transit does not have good transport.

With Croatia entering the EU on July 1 will there still be drop fees to pick the car up in Slovenia & rent it in Croatia?

Do we need reservations for lodgings in Mid-late sept or can we just wing it?

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful suggestions in planning this trip so far!

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Ljubljana
Ljubljana
Upper Carniola Region, Slovenia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 nights in Croatia & Slovenia itinerary guidance?

The logical way would be Zagreb, Ljubljana, Bled, Postojna, Istria. Regarding the places in Istria, these are my favorite ones in priority order: Grožnjan, Rovinj, Motovun, Labin, Poreč, Pula, Vižinada. Here you will find good food and sightseeing picturesque scenes. Try to take a look on the map and book the accommodation that suits you the best geographically.

I would stay for 4-5 days in Istria, maybe hire a car, and then move towards south. On your way take half day to see the Plitvice and then stay in Zadar Šibenik or Split (or all of them for 2 days, only you don't like to pack/unpack). From there you can go from one island to another or by trip, by ferry towards Dubrovnik, or just stay around Zadar or Split for few more days before heading to Dubrovnik. Dalmatian island is what I recommend to you. all of them :)

Wish you a great time in Croatia

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Ljubljana
Ljubljana
Bled
Bled
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Motovun
Motovun
Istria, Croatia
Labin
Labin
Istria, Croatia
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Split
Split
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 nights in Croatia & Slovenia itinerary guidance?

I'd rent a car in Zagreb for your Slovenia and Istria portion at least. Then I'd drop it in Split (or Zagreb). (So no drop off fee)

I like to allot three days per place initially, then work it from there. Some will take less of course, but that gives you a detailed itinerary to start from.

You can wing it in mid-late September, but I prefer to not spend time looking for lodging. It just depends on your preference. If you book through the tourist office in each place, that should save you time.

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Split
Split
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 nights in Croatia & Slovenia itinerary guidance?

Sorry, what does "we" mean? How many people? Any kids?

Do get a car at least in Istria. But it could be best to use it for your entire stay. You'll have the freedom of travelling at any time you want and reach your destinations quicker and easier. And visit something along the way.

Take 5 days for Istria. Visit Rovinj (must), perhaps Pula, with the colosseum, other Roman artifacts and the Brijuni islands. Btw, you can see Rovinj in my MTB Street view movie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M35I33JH00. Grožnjan is incredible, if you like that kind of a place (medieval hilltop town) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZhjAH3Nh8. Motovun is interesting, too and can be explored on the same day - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od8WboFtnWU. Perhaps visit Hum as well. I always recommend climbing Mt. Učka, for incredible view of entire Istria and Kvarner Bay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOJ1ZPCJ_SY.

Finally, I love Opatija, too. But it's not for everyone. It has a nice central promenade, beautiful parks (voted most beautiful in Croatia), amazing coastal path Lungomare (do walk at least to Volosko, small fishing village). Taste Kraš icecream, have a break on the beautiful terrace of hotel Milenij. Still, there's no real beach. Take a look at my movie and decide whether you like it or not - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXKdKyvQbQE. Btw, a few hours there could be enough and it would be a perfect stop for the last night in Istria, before cotinuing to Dalmatia.

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Motovun
Motovun
Istria, Croatia
Kvarner Bay Islands
Kvarner Bay Islands
Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, Croatia
Opatija
Opatija
Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Volosko
Volosko
388 Reviews
Opatija, Croatia
Dalmatia
Dalmatia
Croatia
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 nights in Croatia & Slovenia itinerary guidance?

Thanks for the info. We is my husband & I no kids. We have traveled extensively & like to meet locals. We lived abroad for 7 years. I will definitely watch your videos. Thanks for the helpful hints.

5. Re: 15 nights in Croatia & Slovenia itinerary guidance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:16