We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

Hello! My fiance' and I are planning the details for our honeymoon in late September - early October. We are planning on spending 11 nights in Croatia. We fly into Split and get in early evening. We are hoping to travel to at least Hvar from there, then eventually onto Dubrovnik. We want to see as much as possible while not having to move our bags to too many locations (maybe 4 tops? I also heard Korcula?). Any suggestions for other trips/islands? Looking for a relaxing, romantic vacation, but with lots to do, including good restaurants, things to see. How many days should we do in Split, Hvar, and Dubrovnik? Thanks so much!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,127 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

I like your ideas, but I also will suggest the island of Vis...just since its your honeymoon and its so beautiful and relaxing out there!

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

Thanks! Is that best for a day trip or do you recommend staying there for a couple days? And what is the easiest way to get there?

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

I suggest flipping through a guide book or website first to get a sense of what you want to see and do the most. A couple good resources:

http://islands.zesoi.fer.hr/

http://croatia.hr/en-GB/Homepage

Hvar and Korcula have beautiful towns on beautiful islands and have the added bonus of being well connected between Split and Dubrovnik. That makes them the most popular, but for good reason. However, your interests may lead you to others.

With 11 nights, I think 4 places might work. Are you flying out of Dubrovnik or returning to Split?

Perusing the ferry schedules is also helpful when planning: http://www.jadrolinija.hr/

Read about Split and tell us if you have any interest in it--if not, no need to overnight there.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,127 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

I would stay on Vis for a couple of days if it were me....the best is to get there by catamaran or ferry from Split.

Boston...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

I'll be going for 10 days, the opposite direction of Dubrovnik to Split but maybe my itinerary is helpful for ideas :

Oct 20, 2013- Oct 31, 2013

20-Sunday eve- arrive Dubrovnik 4:15pm, settle,

21-Monday- walk the walls early, market, stroll Old Town, rectory, fountain, museum

22-Tues- pharmacy museum/activity, cable car to Mt Zrd and walk walls in evening, nice dinner

23-Wed- Dubrovnik morning- seaside of walls on boat, bus to Korcula- 3pm-

24-Thurs- Korcula- walled town, walk to tower, beach

25-Fri- 6am ferry to Split: Diocoletian palace, stroll Old Town, museum,

26- Sat- Krka Park day trip, Split after 4pm

27- Sun- 11:00 am (?) ferry to Vis, stroll Vis Town, beach

28-Mon- Vis - walk trail, visit vineyard, nice dinner

29- Tues- Vis- boat rental to Stiniva Beach (?)

30- Wed- 5:30 am (?) ferry to Split, water taxi to Trogir- Salona ruins,

31- Thurs- depart Split airport at 6:50am

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,127 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

Looks like a great, great plan to me! Lucky you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

So excited- I've never been to Europe before! Croatia seems like a great place to start- in the heart of Europe.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,127 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

To me all one needs to do is go to Croatia! Good place to start and finish!

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

Thank you all so much for your input! We really don't have a huge desire to stay in Split for a couple days, or even really overnight. However, our flight doesn't get in until 6:30pm, so with the ferry schedule to Vis or Hvar, we may just stay 1 night in Split, see Diocletian's palace, then leave the next day to Vis, then on to Hvar, and end in Dubrovnik? We do fly out of Split, though, so we will have to make our way back there at some point to depart.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Croatia - how many days in each location?

Gotcha, since you have to return to Split, you might consider staying in Trogir when you return. It is closer to the airport in addition to being really lovely.

How about:

Split 1 night

off to Vis 3 nights

To Hvar 3 nights

to Dubrovnik 3 nights

return to Split/Trogir by bus 1 night

OR

Split 1 night

Dubronik 3 nights

Hvar 3 nights

Vis 3 nights

Trogir 1 night

Next step is to determine the ferry schedule for your needed dates. You may end up switching Vis and Hvar, and at some point you may need to return to Split in between islands. Also, you may decide you'd like to allot 4 nights one place and 2 elsewhere instead of 3-3-3, depending on your interests. The jadrolinija ferry/catamaran (link above) or Krilo catamaran (http://www.krilo.hr/en/sailing_schedule.html) will be your transport, but there is a convenient 4 hour bus between Split and Dubrovnik if need be.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 15:59