We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 12 Day Itinerary

Los Altos...
3 posts
Save Topic
Advice for 12 Day Itinerary

My girlfriend and I will be traveling to Croatia for 12 days. We’re landing in Dubrovnik on September 8th and are departing from Zagreb early morning on the 19th. We’ve reserved a rental car for the entire duration and of the trip.

We’ve already booked accommodations for nights 1-5.

Nights 1–3: Dubrovnik.

Nights 4-5: Trogir

Would like to receive some feedback/opinions regarding the remainder of the nights. We’ve come up with three options that seem reasonable.

Option A – Hvar , Zadar, and Istria. Are two nights in Istria enough, or is this a problem of trying to do too much with the time we have.

Nights 6-7: Hvar.

Nights 8-9: Zadar

Nights 10-11: Istria

Option B – No Hvar, more time in Istria instead.

Nights 6-7: Zadar

Nights 8-11: Istria

Option C – Instead of Istria, two additional nights in Trogir and Zadar.

Night 6: Trogir

Nights 7-8: Hvar

Nights 9-11: Zadar

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,226 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 12 Day Itinerary

I like Option C as I just don't think a person can do Dubrovnik and Istria right in a 12 day period. Also I am thinking it would make more sense to go to Hvar before Trogir instead of coming back to Split to get to Hvar. Then you can go to Zadar from Trogir instead of going by Trogir to get to Zadar...if that all makes sense!

Los Altos...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 12 Day Itinerary

Thanks for the feedback!

It does make sense visiting Hvar prior to Trogir. Do you recommend taking the Drevnik ferry to Hvar on our way from Dubrovnik, or should we drive to Split along D8 to enjoy the view, and then take the ferry from there?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,226 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for 12 Day Itinerary

The bad thing about the Drvenik way is that you will now have to drive across Hvar on a very narrow road. It would save time but you will have to decide if you want to take that road. If you go on google earth you can see the road in street view to gauge whether or not you want to do that.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for 12 Day Itinerary

the road was improved this year - it is more to do with the fact that most Americans are used to wider, multi-lane roads so it depends if that suits you. It is a drive I would love to do.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,226 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for 12 Day Itinerary

I think you are right Jude C..we are used to very wide roads and therefore are put off by the narrow roads. I have looked at this road online and it doesn't look as bad as I have heard. One of my brother in laws said he actually enjoyed driving this road while my brother said he would never drive it again!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for 12 Day Itinerary

Do not make any further reservations. There will be tons of rooms in hotels and private accommodation available in September.

Los Altos...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for 12 Day Itinerary

Thanks again for the advice everyone. Looks like this will be our itinerary:

3 nights in Dubrovnik.

2 nights in Hvar. Will probably take the Drevnik ferry.

3 nights in Trogir.

3 nights in Zadar.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for 12 Day Itinerary

a few more ideas in-between: the Plitvice Lakes national park is right between Zadar and Zagreb. if leaving Zadar in the morning, you can visit Plitvice and get to Zagreb in the evening (it's approximately 1.5 hrs from each).

besides, between Dubrovnik and Split/Trogir (hope you won't miss out on Split!), worth seeing is Ston, with its great wall, the Europe's oldest still operating saltworks and oyster farms (fresh oyster brunch... )

also, between Trogir and Zadar there is Sibenik, with its fabulous Renaissance cathedral built enitrely in drywall and surrounded by mediaeval town, all in stone... near Sibenik there's River Krka NP...

9. Re: Advice for 12 Day Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 07:17