We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in hotels

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in hotels

how much should we tip maids, and waiters in hotels in Croatia for a ten day stay, where we have breakfast and a couple of evening meals? In Italy on a group holiday we were advised a euro a day per person for room cleaning, but the company took care of tipping waiters, so I have no idea - we have had several different waiters. And who do I give it to?

Thanks for any ideas!

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in hotels

In hotels, tipping of cleaning service is not expected at all. Never hear about such custom. Often, you even don't met a person who clean your room.

For waiters, tipping not expected but usually 10% or up to "rounded" amount.

Here is a text regarding tipping in Croatia:

likecroatia.com/news-tips/…

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in hotels

Thank you. I'm surprised that people don't tip the maids. It is trickier in hotels than restaurants because you are paying for bed and breakfast together and if I gave 10% of the whole bill it would be a huge tip! I suppose you are not suggesting that. But I felt I would like to show my appreciation for the breakfast waiters. For the occasional dinner it is easier.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in hotels

This tip of 10% is only in case that a waiter issue bill for you and you pay to them in cash or by a card

Not for a breakfast and meals in hotel which are included in your hotel bill.

Anyway, i never meet with such custom anywhere in Europe yet, that tip is expected for cleaning service or breakfast waiters in hotels.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in hotels

I have tipped people who have helped us in our rooms/cleaned them in August, and they were very surprised, almost uncomfortable, but always took it. THere will be a tendency to charge extra for a delivered service, but to receive money for "nothing" seems strange to some. An owner of a restaurant in Lika who I tried to tip refused to take a tip after an excellent meal and almost seemed insulted...

So, tipping is still a hit and miss in Croatia...

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,267 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in hotels

Where were you in Lika supereks?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in hotels

Kuterevo, to see the bear sanctuary, the restaurant was family owned and close to that location (sanctuary)...

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in hotels

It must be confusing for people in countries that have recently seen a huge increase in tourists from all different countries, because from what I can gather from reading contributions to posts, and online "guides" to tipping there is such a huge difference in tipping customs in different countries.

Also by my bed is a card with the name of the person who cleaned the room, which made me think a tip is expected! It is a very nice 5 * hotel ... So I think I 'm none the wiser. Just play it by ear, I suppose!

Edited: 09 September 2013, 17:52
8. Re: Tipping in hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 06:21