We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

Hi!

I'm trying to plan my itinerary for a Croatia+Bosnia trip and I surely could use a bit of help. I arrive to Zagreb from Budapest roughly on the 2nd or 3rd of november and have a plane that leaves Sarajevo on the 20th. It's the last stretch of a three months solo trip and I'm actually very excited!

I'm a bit confused on what I should do from there on. I'm guessing that by november the weather won't be very summery anymore, so I don't need any days to just relax at the beach. I want to see as much as possible, but in a reasonable way, without having to rush in. I don't mind skipping a few places if it means really getting to enjoy the ones that are absolutely worthwhile.

I've been thinking that I could go something like this:

Day 1: Zagreb (arrive during the morning and spend the day there). 1 night in Zagreb

Day 2: Leave early morning to Zadar (I've read that some buses pass through the Plitvice Lakes, is this so?). Spend the night in Zadar.

Day 3: Leave early morning to Split.

Day 4: Split

Day 5: Take a ferry to Hvar and spend the night in Hvar.

Day 6: Hvar and back to Split in the afternoon.

Day 7: Bus to Dubrovnik.

Day 8: Dubrovnik

Day 9: Dubrovnik

Day 10: Bus to Mostar (Bosnia). Sleep in Mostar.

Day 11: Bus to Sarajevo.

This gives me between 6 and 7 days in Sarajevo, which I don't mind shortening to stop in other great places or spend more time in places that I'm just rushing to.

Does this make sense? Should I skip someplace? Am I missing something? Is this doable?

Really, ANY ideas or impressions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Durham
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

Six days is too long for Sarajevo. The Zadar/Split part of your trip could be expanded to include Nin, Sibenik, Paklenica, Krka, Trogir, Primosten.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

Yup. I imagine that six days is way to long. Maybe three or four are probably ok, as I do want to learn a bit about the war and history of the city.

That gives me about 2 extra days for either Croatia and Bosnia (not Sarajevo).

An option would be to give Dubrovnik an extra day to visit the Elaphites Islands. Or I could give Zagreb one more day. I don't know much about Bosnia other than Mostar and Sarajevo.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

Ok. So I've adapted the itinerary to look more like this. Please tell me what you think :)

Day 1: Zagreb (arrive during the morning and spend the day there). 1 night in Zagreb

Day 2: Leave early morning to Zadar (I've read that some buses pass through the Plitvice Lakes, is this so?). Spend the night in Zadar.

Day 3: Leave early morning to Split.

Day 4: Split

Day 6: Hvar

Day 7: Day trip to Vis.

Day 8: Back to Slit and bus to Dubrovnik.

Day 10: Day trip to the Elafiti Islands

Day 11: Dubrovnik

Day 12: Bus to Mostar (Bosnia). Spend afternoon and night in Mostar.

Day 13: Bus to Sarajevo.

This gives me between 4 or 5 days in Sarajevo.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

I doubt you can do a day trip to Vis in November and the Elaphiti islands are more a summer destination.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

Have a day/night at Plitvice which is open all year.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

My opinion for whatever it is worth: this is considering that we returned last week from a 59 day trip and the last 24 days were Croatia and Bosnia. We had a car.

DEFINITELY spend a night at Plitvice. We spent two and took the advice Jude gave someone else: the Lower Lakes day of arrival. The Upper lakes the next day. Thank you, Jude.

Spend another night on Hvar if possible. Seems like MUCH energy to galavant there for only one night. We did not go to Hvar......we were on Korcula for 3 nights.

You will LOVE Sarajevo. We spent 4 nights there.......3 is fine! That being said.......I would skip a day trip to Mostar. We stayed overnite......a few hours is fine instead. But you are going to Sarajevo.....SO perhaps take a Montenegro tour and skip Mostar. We did want to drive to Montenegro, but the weather didn't cooperate.

What was interesting in October was that Korcula was pretty quiet(others might say DEAD) and Cavtat, our base for 5 nights was the same. Just a "head's up".

Safe travels and have fun.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

Glad to hear that I have been of use to at least one person! Intrigued re the advice not to bother staying overnight in Mostar - why not?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

Ok – So I’ve changed my itinerary a bit and any input would be greatly appreciated! I ended up staying more days in other cities so I’ve had to shorten the Croatia + Bosnia to about 15 days (maybe 16, we’ll see). I decided to skip some places and spend a few more nights in the others, as not to spend too much time on buses and not enough time getting to know the towns. I know the Plitvice Lakes are beautiful, but I’m more in a town mood, so I’ll leave them for next time. Also, since people say going to Vis or some of the islands in Nov. might not be to easy, I’m leaving them for another time as well!

So here it is:

Day 1: Zagreb (arrive in the afternoon). 1 night in Zagreb

Day 2: Leave early morning to Split (I've read that some buses pass through the Plitvice Lakes, is this so?). Spend the night in Split.

Day 3: Split

Day 4: Day trip to Sibenik OR Trogir OR some town inland

Day 6: Hvar

Day 7: Hvar

Day 8: Back to Slit and bus to Dubrovnik.

Day 10:Day trip to Ston and Trsteno

Day 11: Dubrovnik

Day 12: Bus to Sarajevo with stop in Mostar OR Trebinje

Day 13: Sarajevo

Day 14: Sarajevo

Day 15: Sarajevo

QUESTIONS:

1. With only full day to spend in Split is it worth it to spend one day in a visit to Sibenik or Trogir or should I just focus in Split?

2. Is a day trip from Dubrovnik to to Ston and Trsteno worth it?

3. If I want to add one more day to Zagreb, what should I cut back on? I know most people will say Sarajevo, but I have some appointments there to meet people that work with organizations related to human rights and the Bosnian war, so I don’t want to rush too much my time there.

Thanks in advance!!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

your itinerary is perfect, no need to change anything! Enjoy your trip :)

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 18 days in Croatia + Bosnia. Help!

More in Split. Trogir is only 30 minutes away on the bus so easy to do. Less time in Hvar as so out of season.