We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

direction of travel best between Venice and Dubrovnik?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
464 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
direction of travel best between Venice and Dubrovnik?

Hi

We are looking to travel between Venice and Dubrovnik mid next Sept for roughly 12 days till beginning of Oct and wondered if there was a recommended direction of travel?

Thinking of catching the ferry to somewhere in Croatia form Venice and then hiring a car to tour around Croatia.

Just not sure whether it makes any difference weather wise to go north to south or whether the ferries in and out of Venice cease in Oct

thanks for any advice

Lynette

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: direction of travel best between Venice and Dubrovnik?

I don't understand your question. To the south or to the north from where?

Ferries ceases at beginning of October this year.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
464 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: direction of travel best between Venice and Dubrovnik?

sorry I meant from Venice down to Dubrovnik or Dubrovnik to Venice

thanks

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: direction of travel best between Venice and Dubrovnik?

Well, there are many options.

You can fly from Venice to Dubrovnik and drive back. I think that Croatia Airlines fly directly in season.

Ferries is not question for "to be or not to be", you can travel from Venice to Trieste by a train and then by bus to Istria, Ljubljana on wherever.

You can also hire a car in Dubrovnik and return them in Zagreb, from where you more flight options for return. Or maybe in Ljubljana if you want to go to Bled.

You can even travel to the south then by overnight ferry from Dubrovnik to Bari in Italy and drive to the north back to Venice or somewhere in Italy.

All directions are good and doable :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: direction of travel best between Venice and Dubrovnik?

You should be able to get a ferry from Venice to Pula in September but 2014 timetables will not be published until Spring 2014.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: direction of travel best between Venice and Dubrovnik?

I would go south first because I'd want nice weather more when down south. But it really depends on what you are able to do transport wise. If you are starting from Venice, then you may wish to start in the north. From where do you depart?

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: direction of travel best between Venice and Dubrovnik?

I'd go north to south for the weather.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: direction of travel best between Venice and Dubrovnik?

I also would go North to South.

8. Re: direction of travel best between Venice and Dubrovnik?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 03:16