We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croatia - intrigued for 2014

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Croatia - intrigued for 2014

We are running out of places in Europe that we haven't yet tried for some Summer Sun and Croatia has popped up a few times, however we have no idea where to choose.

We would be going the end of May or mid July and can fly into Split from Glasgow or Dubrovnik from Edinburgh (Glasgow or Prestwick is our preferred airports).

We are a couple in our late 30s, who enjoy staying somewhere with plenty of bars&restaurants but also somewhere with things to do during the days in between chilling at the pool or beach, like visiting historical places or walks along the beach/coast and have even hired the odd bike or 2.

We don't need anywhere with nightclubs as such, however we do enjoy a good nightlife with bars open later than 12 if possible???

We don't mind a 10/15 minute walk to the restaurants and bars as sometimes it's nice to get away from them too.

We generally rent an apartment or stay self catering, so somewhere with one or 2 supermarkets/local shops at hand would be ideal too & with a pool.

Thoughts on the back of a postcard please ;-)

Nicky x

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croatia - intrigued for 2014

I meant to say we love a night in the balcony too with a few drinks, hence why we like an apartment, but do enjoy a night out too after a meal. Again were not looking for it to be a wild one, just for a choice of venues with some music too of course and not reruns of only fools and horses playing :-)

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Croatia - intrigued for 2014

Cavtat near Dubrovnik is the right place for you.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Croatia - intrigued for 2014

It's funny that you mention Only Fools & Horses - I once had a very surreal conversation with a waiter in Dubrovnik whose favourite programme it was! Cavtat is a good idea - somewhere like Trogir/Okrug Gornji (the beach area near Trogir) would be good from Split. However, there is a world of difference between late May and mid July as the season doesn't really kick in until mid June. In July places that are cafe-bars by day suddenly become disco bars by night, open till the early hours. The cost is also substantially different.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Croatia - intrigued for 2014

Season kick off in Rovinj this year was the 20th June, when the focus switched from the Irish pubs with acoustic music and cafes to a trendy bar (or several) with go go girls and lasers at the harbour. So we enjoyed the best of both worlds during our stay! However, there is a multitude of bars in Dubrovnik so even in May there would be lots happening I am sure. You may get better weather in July as well though. Prices to match. So depends really on your own preference when you want to go...first two weeks of June wiill be comparatively laid back.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Croatia - intrigued for 2014

If you want to fly from Glasgow the only direct flights are with easyJet to Split. You'd also have to go in mid July as the flights only start in late June. You could go on the mainland either close to the airport as Jude mentioned, or to places on the Makarska riviera south of Split like Brela. However, my preference would be to go to the islands, e.g. Komiza on Vis or Postira on Brac. A pool isn't really necessary and only a small number of villa have them, as swimming in the Adriatic is much better in summer and early autumn. In May I'd need a heated pool, but you may be hardier.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Croatia - intrigued for 2014

Thanks everyone, still a bit undecided but will look into everywhere you recommended x

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Croatia - intrigued for 2014

I nominate Mljet (as usual). It's an island off the coast less than 2hrs from Dubrovnik on the Nona Ana www.gv-line.hr/raspored.php?linija=3&lang=E. It states "predicted" timetable but it's been the same for years. For apartments, I've used http://www.adriatic-home.com/ and AirBnb. If you do happen to visit Mljet, I recommend the village of Polace (the Nona Ana stops here) or Pomena. Both are close to the big, beautiful lake where the 800+ y/o Benedictine monastery is. Polace has two very reasonably priced and well-stocked mini-marts. Hurry up summer 2014!

Edited: 13 December 2013, 05:44
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Croatia - intrigued for 2014

Thanks Jojo x

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Croatia - intrigued for 2014

No problem! Wherever you go, you are guaranteed a great trip. Next summer is my 6th visit there. My partner is a Croat living in Zagreb, and he got me hooked on Only Fools And Horses!

10. Re: Croatia - intrigued for 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 05:18